Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to SS Wet tumble bulk brass?

FingerBlaster

So i've got pistol brass and military rifle brass by the 5 gallon bucket.  I have a bigdawg tumbler that i bought years ago that's just not big enough to keep up anymore.

Any suggestions for tumbling brass by the 5 gallon bucket without breaking the bank but i can still do wet and with SS pins?

Edited by FingerBlaster

I thought about a cement mixer, but you can't really put pins in the cement mixer.  I would think they would all just stay at the bottom of the mixer unless you tilt it horizontal.  If you do that everything will come out.  Not sure how to make a watertight lid.  

I found a 3.5 gallon tumbler, but it's $800 and not near large enough.

Other options:

Build a super sized Big Dawg and put 4 canisters on it

Treadmill with a water tight 5 gallon bucket modified to agitate the brass

Edited by DWFAN

3 hours ago, FingerBlaster said:

I thought about a cement mixer, but you can't really put pins in the cement mixer.  I would think they would all just stay at the bottom of the mixer unless you tilt it horizontal.  If you do that everything will come out.  Not sure how to make a watertight lid.  

I put a 5 gal bucket in the cement mixer. To agitate the pins i glued some pvc strips to the inside of the bucket. I clean a couple of thousand cases at a time. Once I'm done (usually around and hour) I rinse the brass, separate the pins in a media separator, then dry them in towels (shaking back and forth) I then let them sit in my heated shop for a few days, then spritz them with Dillon case lube (and shake them back and forth in the towel). I've been using this system for a couple of years. Wouldn't think of doing this any other way.

IMG_20131130_125746_266 (Small).jpg

brass clean 11.JPG

brass clean 12.JPG

6 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

I put a 5 gal bucket in the cement mixer. To agitate the pins i glued some pvc strips to the inside of the bucket. I clean a couple of thousand cases at a time. Once I'm done (usually around and hour) I rinse the brass, separate the pins in a media separator, then dry them in towels (shaking back and forth) I then let them sit in my heated shop for a few days, then spritz them with Dillon case lube (and shake them back and forth in the towel). I've been using this system for a couple of years. Wouldn't think of doing this any other way.

That's stupid simple great idea i love it... is that a harbor frieght mixer?

13 hours ago, FingerBlaster said:

That's stupid simple great idea i love it... is that a harbor frieght mixer?

Yes, but (there's always a but :wacko:) after about a year the motor on the mixer doesn't want to start so I have to turn the drum by hand to give the motor a help, just takes a little push to get started, then it runs fine. If it ever completely dies (I've been doing the "push start" for over a year) I plan to replace it with a Lowes all plastic drum mixer.

Now that's some serious brass tumbling!! 

Nice rig you built there.  Surprised to see that small of a direct drive motor without a gearbox spinning those drums.

The motor is a 230 volt 3 phase gear motor driven with a VFD.

I built 3 of the double drum machines and yes they literally go through tons of brass.

IMG_20140221_191342_zps4ec6891d.jpg

just takes a little push to get started, then it runs fine.

There is a cover on the motor held on with a screw or two.  Under it there will be a capacitor, order another one off the internet exactly like it and install it, and you won't have to push start it.

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 3:25 PM, FingerBlaster said:

Harbor freight cement mixer :bow: