Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm mag block adapter

I have an NFA billet lower with a 16" upper for USPSA PCC, but enjoy shooting a run and gun local match with an SBR... bought a 9mm 10 1/2" upper from PSA, but have not decided on a mag block for my registered SBR to put it on... I would like a bottom load adapter so I can insert it without removing the bolt hold open, and currently looking at a Macon Armory unit... can anyone recommend an option before I purchase... the mag block is close to the tax stamp price for applying for a form 1 for my NFA lower, but I don't really want to wait the 4+months to legally play, so thought the mag block would be the interim solution... thanks

I use a Hahn Precision top loader. They make three adapters. The first one is the top loader, it snaps into place by pressing the magazine release and stays in place when you mate the upper and lower. This is the version I have and it works really well! You can order it directly from Hahn and it cost me $183 shipped. The second version is a bottom loader that is held in place with set screws. I have no experience with these but I have read stories of people over-tightening the screws and cracking their receivers. The third version is one in which you install it by removing the bolt release. 

The one I got seems to me to be the best option because it is stable, easy to remove and there is no chance of cracking my lower. 

Good luck to you!

Edited by JMike
spelling

I've got a Hahn for the GWACS lower.....the old cav arms one. Mags seemed to be very tight, and dragged when inserting. I also have a Quarter Circle 10 colt mag lower, the mags go in very easy. I understand that Rock River makes an insert and it is the one that JP enterprises sells......so if they sell it, they must also recommend it! (maybe?). I've also heard other people talking good things about the Rock River insert as well.

How is your Hahn insert for the std lower?

Tim

Hello: I am using a Hahn insert that goes in the bottom. It is held in place with a setscrew pressing on a roller. The mag release is what lines it up. It has worked perfectly in 3 different lowers I have used it in. Metalform mags work perfectly with the AR Stoner ones being too tight. I ran 100 rounds this mourning to test a new upper and it ran 100%. Good option if you have a SBR stamped lower that you want to build a 9mm SBR upper for. 8 1/2"-10 1/2" barrel would be perfect I think. KAK make an insert also but I have not seen one of those. Thanks, Eric

I have the RRA in my SBR cause I didn't want to keep popping out the bolt catch pin & I wanted LRBHO.& it was cheaper than Hahn. A set screw drives out 2 large pins that tension it in the magwell. it ain't moving. Plus my magwell is tight.

37 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

I've got a Hahn for the GWACS lower.....the old cav arms one. Mags seemed to be very tight, and dragged when inserting. I also have a Quarter Circle 10 colt mag lower, the mags go in very easy. I understand that Rock River makes an insert and it is the one that JP enterprises sells......so if they sell it, they must also recommend it! (maybe?). I've also heard other people talking good things about the Rock River insert as well.

How is your Hahn insert for the std lower?

Tim

I have my Hahn in a Spikes Tactical standard AR lower and have no complaints at all. I use the Metalform (Palmetto State Armory) Colt SMG magazines. They drop freely and seat easily. LRBHO wasn't important to me and so, that is why I went with this particular adapter. 

I use the Rock River mag block.  It seems to work pretty well in non-Spike's lower.  I got is to use in my registered lower as well.  Lining up the mags on the reload is a bit tight though.  I have experienced a couple FTF's with the empty case stovepiping and getting wedged in bu the next live round, which can cause a kind of nasty jam. I am not sure if this is related to the adapter, the ammo or the mags.

thanks everyone... I just talked to Rudy at Macon Armory and ordered one of his bottom load 9mm adapters... pictures were on ARFCOM and I like the looks of it... really nice to talk to, he said he was so busy that he hadn't had time to post pics on his web site...the unit is held in place with a button head machine screw...$160 with shipping... will give a report... again, thanks for the replies.... I looked at the Hahn and RRA websites, and you would think that with the renewal of interest in 9mm PCC the communication would be better to customers...

Hahn or go home!

Also, have you ever talked to a dealer that sells Harris? They are old school, fax your order and mail in a check type deal. That website, the harrisbipods.com isnt even owned by them... its some guy who said I'm going to take advantage of the market that you guys are skipping. I guess the point being is that some of the older, better companies let their products do the talking. Not saying its right, just how some things are.