Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 hammer spring preload in " hammer down" position

If the slide is on the mainspring will be in slight compression which puts the hammer in this preload condition.  If the slide is off and the hammer goes forward beyond vertical the spring will typically not have any compression and the hammer will float.

if there was no preload the hammer would have some amount of slop and play in it which you don't want to have.  In theory if the hammer was loose, and the gun was bounced violently there could be enough movement to strike the firing pin.  You also want enough constant tension to keep the sear, hammer, disconnect from bouncing around internally.  It would be minimal with the sear spring tension but still undesirable.

I was speaking in terms of when the pistol is assembled with slide, off safe,and after you have dropped the hammer and its resting on the firing pin stop. I did have some consistency issues with the disconnector reseting but I traced that to the bore the disconnector travels in wasn't the same / correct diameter through the frame. The proper size gauge pin went in about 0.100 from the top and stuck. 

The reason I asked was a smith on youtube said something about it and I noticed it on my gun. It's a factory STI gun, is that something that should be tuned or left alone?

Yes at rest against the firing pin stop the hammer should be undee tension. This can be affected by the length of the hammer strut. For the reasons drewbeck pointed out you want the hammer to be resting firmly against the firing pin stop. 

With ts the slide off it'll probably go limp before touching the frame but again that's a function of the length of the hammer strut and the frame. 

4 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

With ts the slide off it'll probably go limp before touching the frame but again that's a function of the length of the hammer strut and the frame. 

Good excuse for the wife as well....it's a problem with the frame, not the hammer strut