Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BUIS for Carry Optics

Nemesis Lead

Do you use Back Up Iron Sights (BUIS) for Carry Optics?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi All,

I was thinking of getting into Carry Optics.

For those that ARE shooting Carry Optics.....do you use Back Up Iron Sights (Co-witnessed or lower 1/3 co-witnessed)?

I have seen guys shooting strong hand or weak hand who were unable to find the dot.  I have also seen optics go down on people during a match.  I am wondering if BUIS might be an asset?

On the other hand--I am a Master Class Production shooter.  I will dry fire and my Index WILL be solid.

All of that said......do I need BUIS?  What do you think?

Edited by Nemesis Lead

No buis.  Not needed. If you're loosing the dot or its failing regularly those are both problems that can be addressed. 

Get slide milled for a decent optic (my choice would be deltapoint pro or rts2) and with a bit of dry fire you'll have your index sorted in no time. 

You don't see BUIS on open guns because the extra crap in your field of view will slow you down. Same concept applies here. If your dot is going out regularly or you can't index to find the dot, then you have a lot bigger issues and won't be in contention to win anyway. Not to be blunt, but it's true. 

12 hours ago, Nemesis Lead said:

Very good point and one that I had considered.   Open guns do have a much higher optic and would be harder to mount BUIS on.....

Not all Open guns have high optics. 90 degree mounts get fairly low.

11 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

No buis.  Not needed. If you're loosing the dot or its failing regularly those are both problems that can be addressed. 

Get slide milled for a decent optic (my choice would be deltapoint pro or rts2) and with a bit of dry fire you'll have your index sorted in no time. 

Yup. BUIS is not needed for competition guns. Ditch the stock sights and mill the slide.

Well I have to ask... would the installation of the BUIS be legal?  How would you go about installing one in a CO pistol that would be legal?

21.2b Milling of slide — only as required to insert optical sights

And removing the front sight... is that legal?

— UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION.

The folks you see shooting strong hand or weak hand losing the dot just haven't put the time in yet to build the index.

I noticed it was often slightly off left or right when either hand didn't have the other to push against. 

While you are getting your index, as a substitute for BUIS, you can build a reference of optic to slide, precisely what you see (for example how much of tip of slide do you see in glass). 

You'll be shooting target focus 100% of the time CO, enjoy the scenery, no BUIS.