Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

26Gen4- First time out- FTE

Wheeljack

I reload.  Went out to try my new Glock with a few different loads.  I load 147gr plated bullets @ .357 dia.  HP-38 powder.  Hard to find data but I was using higher loads.  Only the higher loads had no FTE, although the highest load did not eject the last round.  I looking to use lighter loads but this looks like I will have to use my maximum loads.  My chronograph was showing higher speeds than I got with my other guns too.  From what I could find, I may need a softer recoil spring.  The Glockshop has a 14 and 16 pound spring assembly and LoneWolf has lighter firing pin springs.  I'm not sure what I need or which parts.   Is it the firing pin spring that I need with a lighter recoil spring?  14 or 16 pounds?   The shells do pass my ears and only go about 4 to 5 feet our.  I'm new to all this.  

How does factory ammo compare? The stock recoil spring weight is 17 lb and is meant to be used with factory ammo.

If you do change the recoil spring, that's all you HAVE to change. It isn't directly related to any other part on the gun. You will likely need the Gen 3 type captured spring. It has a removable end so you can change out the spring for a different weight. It should come with a little adapter washer plug for use in Gen4 guns.

14 pounds should be just fine. You may be able to go even lighter as long as it passes the gravity test (look it up, don't feel like explaining it atm).

Recoil spring weight comes down to personal preference once you have gone light enough to make the gun function adequately.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I would shoot a few hundred rounds of the heavier loads and break it in a little before I started changing stuff around.

Also, with that stumpy grip on the G26 you should be extra diligent about getting a firm grip.

Edited by Pasley

Thanks.  First, patience.  Grip extension due in today.  Then maybe a 14-15 pound spring to test.  I am looking at my 147gr loads to be slower, softer and Glock is apparently sprung for more powerful loads.  I bought some 115gr commercial rounds and they worked fine.  I'll do some more shooting before I try something else

Since the 115 factory loads work fine at least you know your new pistol is ok and you can feel good about it.  I keep meaning to experiment with lighter recoil springs with my Glock 45 acp to try to get it to run with light loads.

Good luck.