Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making a Dillon Powder Measure into a Stand Alone

orenp

Does anyone make parts/kit to make a Dillon Powder Measure into a stand alone powder measure? Thinking about setting up for some precision rifle cartridge loading. Looking at the Solo single stage conversion for my 550b from UniqueTek. I would like to retain the Dillon powder measure (using the UniqueTek Micrometer setup) if possible.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't use a Dillon powder measure for precision ammo. I don't even use them on my 1050 for 3gun rifle ammo, or competition pistol ammo, I use a RCBS measure with a case activated linkage...

You would be better off using a scoop and a trickler...

jmho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Agreed with RiggerJJ - I like my Dillon gear but the PM is only average imo.  Fine for range or blasting ammo, but if I am loading max loads ie 10mm or any precision loads I switch to a Chargemaster 1500, and either drop through an AT500 die/funnel (on the 1050), or am loading on the COAX anyway and using the 1500.

My choice would be some type of rotary providing Im throwing a short grained stick like 8208 or a ball powder.  My Hornady drop is spot on all day for those powders.  I use my CM for any long grain stuff like Varget, etc in combination with a Hornady powder thru funnel if I am using my progressive.

I appreciate your input on what I should be using. However, that wasn't the question that I asked. I'm asking the question because I have seen documentation of the accuracy of the Dillon powder measure compared to others (ie RCBS Competition Powder Measure). The Dillon appears to be more than comparable in accuracy and consistency. Hence my question.

On 3/17/2017 at 5:16 PM, orenp said:

I appreciate your input on what I should be using. However, that wasn't the question that I asked. I'm asking the question because I have seen documentation of the accuracy of the Dillon powder measure compared to others (ie RCBS Competition Powder Measure). The Dillon appears to be more than comparable in accuracy and consistency. Hence my question.

Trouble is, its not comparable. Espcially with stick powders.

Good luck...

On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Dan Sierpina said:

Your best bet would be to find an old hand activated Dillon measure. They came on the old Dillon 450 (pre 550).

+1 that should work, not sure if you would need a powder die and funnel to make it work?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the 'help'. I set up my Dillon powder measure with a UniqueTek micrometer and have it set at 0.1 grain under my target weight. Then I weigh the charge and bring it up to target weight with a trickler. Works great. The powder measure consistently throws within 0.1 grain so I have little or no wasted effort.