Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage 18 Optics Nats

rowdyb

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Steve RA said:

I agree, the Nationals should be the hardest match of the year.

It's not even that the entire match should be extremely difficult. It just needs to test very challenging shooting somewhere. If there were a bunch of stages like this I think there would be a valid concern because then you're putting too much emphasis on one aspect of shooting skill. In order to declare a shooter being the national champion, you should test as many facets of shooting as you can at the match. I think having a standards stage with very challenging free/strong/weak shooting is an effective way of testing those modalities without having it overwhelm the entire match.

i'm angry I practiced this, got it down to shooting just one miss in practice like 6 times in a row on two different days and then zeroed it in the match with 7 misses.

my inability to shoot my potential and be consistent is something that keeps me up at night.

11 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

i'm angry I practiced this, got it down to shooting just one miss in practice like 6 times in a row on two different days and then zeroed it in the match with 7 misses.

my inability to shoot my potential and be consistent is something that keeps me up at night.

FWIW, it  took me almost 10 years of competing before I stopped beating myself on a consistent basis...and even now it still happens occasionally. Being able to execute on demand when it matters is easily one of the most challenging aspects of the sport. That's a big reason why I don't have a problem with that ability being fairly heavily rewarded on occasional stages like these. Try not to get down on yourself about it...It's really freaking hard to walk up to a stage like this and nail a great performance the first time. As you saw, even some world champs couldn't manage it this time around. 

Edited by Jake Di Vita

22 hours ago, eric4069 said:

At sunrise the sun was directly  behind the shooter for this stage.  At sunset would have been in shooters eyes but don't know how low the sun was for the last squad of the day.

eric

sun did not make any difference on stage 18 IMO, stage 11 and 12 were hard in the morning sun, but not that bad.

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

And once again we have an unrealistic shooting challenge at the Nationals that kicks everyone in the balls, including World Champions.........

i shot the match with a broken ankle, and i didn't Zero stage 18, 1 Mike.

it is not an unrealistic or unreasonable shooting  challenge, especially at Nationals.

You were not there were you?

6 minutes ago, PPGMD said:

I had zero mikes on stage 18 I even got a 3.5HF, in fact I didn't have a single mike during the match... for targets I actually shot at. :unsure:

shooting pcc is easier on this stage.

So you were the dude I saw with what looked like a ductaped foot?

Also, I do not think this stage was too hard to be included in this match.

Edited by rowdyb

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

yes that was me, i put duct tape over my splint, extra for stage 20.

I was surprised that you could put up a 30 second (ish) stage time and still come away from it with a hit factor. Saw some big names zero this so slow and steady won this race. I think every match needs this type of standards. Much like the really far standards targets that I have always seen a Production and SS nationals.  

6 hours ago, Dutchman195 said:

I was surprised that you could put up a 30 second (ish) stage time and still come away from it with a hit factor. Saw some big names zero this so slow and steady won this race. I think every match needs this type of standards. Much like the really far standards targets that I have always seen a Production and SS nationals.  

I shoot NRA AP/Bianchi, so I just went up taking my time and shot as many alphas as I could. TBH I probably could've gone a bit faster, but I was playing it a bit safe.

12 hours ago, rowdyb said:

No, thankfully a lot of the rocks were gone by the time I got down there. But I did have to take it much slower than I would've have on grass or sand.

On 3/27/2017 at 6:22 PM, CHA-LEE said:

And once again we have an unrealistic shooting challenge at the Nationals that kicks everyone in the balls, including World Champions.........

I agree, things seem to be getting out of hand.

Stage designers are trying for shock value more than good enjoyable stages.

9 minutes ago, CAB33 said:

It was not an unreasonably hard stage, what shock value was in this stage?

It is Nationals. not all stages will be hoser stages, you need to test all skills, not dumb down stages.

3 minutes ago, bret said:

It was not an unreasonably hard stage, what shock value was in this stage?

It is Nationals. not all stages will be hoser stages, you need to test all skills, not dumb down stages.

Don't hose shame me.

1 hour ago, CAB33 said:

What makes you think every stage at a National championship should be "enjoyable"? 

Although I didn't shoot the match, I shot stage 18 several times while my wife was practicing it for Nats.  It's not even close to what I would consider an unreasonable stage for this match, especially with an Open gun.  Most shooters there had the ability to hit a target at 35yds.... whether or not they shot the stage with enough discipline to make that happen at Nats is the point of competition. 

Here was my take away from the stage. (in no particular order)

You needed to slow down and get hits. 30 second times where not bad. At a nationals this is good. It forces someone who has been pedal to the metal to slow down and focus. This is a skill needed by all shooters. Max shot the thing in 19 seconds and zero'd it. So my 40+ second time was ok because I still got points. (or at least thats what I tell myself). A Glock 19 and a 13MOA dot wasn't the way to do this. I felt like at some points the entire dot was covering all of the available target area.

its Nationals. I expect it to be a hard match. Yes there were some blaster stages and some fun stages and then this stupid hard stage, which in reality wasn't really that hard. I just suck and didn't practice. Sure I could have done better. But I hadn't shot a actual match since like October because in MI nothing goes on outdoors over winter. And when I do practice my club thinks it'll scare new shooters away with hard stages so they purposely dont set them up. This evens the playing field for everyone. Sure open guys, but also PCC. Whats the point of a rifle if you aren't pushing the gun and your skill set. 

2 hours ago, CAB33 said:

Don't hose shame me.

I shot the stage in a19.27 and 21.49.
11 Alpha's
12 Charley's
1 Mike
HF 2.28

It wasn't that hard of a stage.

You can't blaze away at all stages, look at what happened to Max Michel Jr.
he shot it in 9.64 and 10.05
7 Alpha's
6 Charley's
4 Delta's
7 Mike's
HF 0.00