Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using labradar for power factor... What distance to use?

Well I'm going to be making up a new load for.some Blue bullets that I've ordered.

This got me thinking about chronographing and what distance should I be using the velocity from?

Normal light ones are 10 ft away, should I be using the 10ft distance as my PF or is the muzzle velocity shown on the unit be the one I use?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I use 10ft too. Sucks that you can't set the labradar to calculate for you at 10ft instead of the muzzle. 

Also 128 is cutting it too close of you ask me. 

Oh I can set it to any distance I want upto 100m.

128 pf was average 10 shots.

2 hours ago, bsand said:

Oh I can set it to any distance I want upto 100m.

128 pf was average 10 shots.

Yes, I have mine set to 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 feet but it will only calculate average, PF and KE at the muzzle.  You have to calculate it yourself if you use the 10ft distance.  At least I haven't figured out how to make it calculate all that stuff at 10 ft.

128 was your 10 shot average but at a match they only chrono 3.  Plus your powder might be hotter or colder at a match.  You're going to sub minor eventually.  

On 3/15/2017 at 1:36 PM, darkvibe said:

I use 10ft too. Sucks that you can't set the labradar to calculate for you at 10ft instead of the muzzle. 

Also 128 is cutting it too close of you ask me. 

When Labradar gives you the Power Factor, it is at 10 feet.

I actually sent mine back - had all sorts of issues with it - readings from same pistol load same position same target ranging from 400-1200.  Also missing lots of shots, again from same position.  I though it might be that crappy stand wobbling around or the like so mounted it on my good heavy tripod and tried some more shots and got more of the same.  Also the unit would just power off at random times.  Plus, if using a ext. battery pack, you couldn't start a new series...had to power off an to do it.  On internal batteries you could start a new series as the manual describes, so they still got some firmware issue to work out maybe, not sure.

I know there are happy folks out there using them so I am assuming I got a bad one.  Had the latest firmware and everything, so was pretty bummed.  Anyway, took to much dang fiddling and and I got pretty mad at it lol so sent it back.  Might just pick up another PC or may go ahead and get a 35P.

I've had mine since December 2015. Since I upgraded the firmware, I also had werid readings for pistols, like 600 fps for a 40 SW loaded to Major.

Right now if I shoot 10 rounds I'll get 7 or 8 shots recorded.

Unit has been flawless for high power rifles tho.

I've got a Pro Chrono digital and a 35P and unless you are really into chronographing a whole lot I'd just get the Pro Chrono as it's less expensive, easier to set up and seems about as accurate as the 35P ( at least, mine seems to be).  35P has advantages but if you are just checking a PF once in awhile I wouldn't bother.

24 minutes ago, bsand said:

I've had mine since December 2015. Since I upgraded the firmware, I also had werid readings for pistols, like 600 fps for a 40 SW loaded to Major.

Right now if I shoot 10 rounds I'll get 7 or 8 shots recorded.

Unit has been flawless for high power rifles tho.

yeah I got that impression, I thought it might work better for long rifle - but didn't want to say b/c I didn't put a lot of time behind it, maybe 100 rounds.

21 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

I've got a Pro Chrono digital and a 35P and unless you are really into chronographing a whole lot I'd just get the Pro Chrono as it's less expensive, easier to set up and seems about as accurate as the 35P ( at least, mine seems to be).  35P has advantages but if you are just checking a PF once in awhile I wouldn't bother.

Yeah I started with the PC and I was seduced by the LR lol - I think I might just go back - you are right, dead nuts simple and inexpensive.  M2 I was looking at also due to the remote display, but both much less than the LabRadar/35P and would suffice for my needs, mainly testing handloads. :). 

Edited by 78Staff

2 hours ago, 78Staff said:

yeah I got that impression, I thought it might work better for long rifle - but didn't want to say b/c I didn't put a lot of time behind it, maybe 100 rounds.

I've put thousands of rifle rounds "thru" the radar not a single issue.

Pistol has been a bit tricky, but I do not have a tripod, just the bench mount so I am having to kneel down to the bench level and shoot like that. 

Don't know, maybe follow up shots were too quick?

I did some load tests on Saturday, outdoor range 20 yards between muzzle and berm. If I waited until the speed appears I never lost a shot. If I just kept pulling the trigger it wouldn't register all the shots (8/10 logged)

For me it wasn't so much the missing shots that bothered me (although I was waiting plenty of time between shots), every Chrono misses a shot once is while, but the LR seemed excessive, I mean it would miss 4 - 5 shots in a row then catch one, all same firing position, etc.  The nail in the coffin for me was when the same load recorded a velocity range from 400-1200 from the exact same firing position/unit position - I knew something was off.  That plus the random powering off, the new string issue - like I said, I probably just got a bad one, as there are plenty of guys happy with them and using them without issue.

I just went back to a simple Pro Chrono which works fine for my needs, ie testing handloads.  My hope for the LR was to be able to use it at the local indoor range which is much closer than my outdoor range travel wise, so I wouldn't have to go downrange to set it up like a typical Chrono (which you can't do at the indoor range), but I will just keep testing at the outdoor range, between pistols, rifles, and shotguns I tend to wind up there pretty much every weekend anyway :).

Edited by 78Staff

• 2 weeks later...

I checked 45acp with my LR in two differant guns ( 1911 and HK USP ) off a branch with a 6" rest and it picked up all the rounds when the unit didn't time out . First time to use it - forgot about 2 second cycle and set the unit time short to save battery .