Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 19--- 124 or 115?

p7fl

Some of my 9mm pistols have a clear preference between 124s over 115s. Been shooting Glock 19s lately in both Steel Challenge and USPSA but getting inconsistent accuracy.

I’ve been chasing zero with different factory ammo, different days and different Glock 19s.

Assuming basic USPSA distances does anyone have insight into which weight is more accurate specifically in a 19?

TIA

The Glock barrel twist is optimized for 124g from what I've read/heard. I shoot 124's in a stock barrel in a 17 and 34 with pretty good accuracy. FMJ, JHP, and plated. The 147g and heavy bullets are typically not the most accurate in a stock Glock but people do love them.. Again what I read/heard.

I shoot a lot of 120 grain FP coated bullets and they are accurate in all my Glocks. however 95 grain FP are extremely accurate and I use those for steel challenge. I push them to 1500 in a comped 34 and they shoot crazy flat.

I like the 125 gr. in all of my Glocks, from the 26 to the 34 they all seem to shoot the 125 gr. best. I am thinking about ordering a 1-10" twist barrel from KKM and see if it improves the accuracy of my 147 gr. loads. 

On 3/15/2017 at 9:47 AM, p7fl said:

Some of my 9mm pistols have a clear preference between 124s over 115s. Been shooting Glock 19s lately in both Steel Challenge and USPSA but getting inconsistent accuracy.

I’ve been chasing zero with different factory ammo, different days and different Glock 19s.

Assuming basic USPSA distances does anyone have insight into which weight is more accurate specifically in a 19?

TIA

Middle of your statement "chasing" with different Ammo and different G 19's.  

Zero one gun with one good quality ammo and you won't be chasing any longer.

Middle of your statement "chasing" with different Ammo and different G 19's.  

Zero one gun with one good quality ammo and you won't be chasing any longer.

Very good advice. ^^

I run 147s just to keep everything the same.

p7fl, you will generally find that 124/147s are a bit more accurate than 115s, even though that was the original weight for a 9mm Luger with a rifled barrel. So what ammo brands have you tried? And what is your zero? 7 yards, or 40 yards. And what is inconsistent mean? a 3" group at 20  yards, or a 5" group at 10 yards? 

A side question, why are you using a G19 for USPSA or Steel Challenge instead of a G17 or G34?

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:27 AM, IATURNKEY said:

I like the 125 gr. in all of my Glocks, from the 26 to the 34 they all seem to shoot the 125 gr. best. I am thinking about ordering a 1-10" twist barrel from KKM and see if it improves the accuracy of my 147 gr. loads. 

KKM barrels and 147gr 9mm loads go together like peanutbutter and jelly :-)

It doesn't matter what anyone else uses as you are not using their gun.  Each gun is different.  Personally I didn't see that much difference between 115 and 124.  I use 147 in 98% of my guns.  My Glock 19 is feed 147's.  Pick a load that is accurate in your gun and then get the sights to fit it.  Dawson Precision makes great sights and if they don't shoot to impact then they will send you for free the proper height that you need. 

i run 124s Freedom New and Atlanta Arms out of my g19s and 34 with the best results. both with factory and kkm barrels. I run glock 19s also for uspsa cause i had them on hand and was able to turn them into carry optics guns easily.

Edited by love2fishnshoot

OP here:

Took 6 different 115s and 124s to the range. Set up at 30 feet and just picked up one of the family Glock 19s.

Maybe, just maybe the 124s came in a tighter group. But, it was not a definitive difference.

I later spoke to Glock tek support and their view was that it would should not make a difference.

Both weights shot higher than POA. All groups stayed in the 2-3 inch range which seems large coming from the 1911 world.

Lowering the sight to 6:00 brought the POI to center.

That seems to answer my question of Glock 19s and 115 v 124.

Seems to be a lot of positive experiences KKM barrels.

jon