Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guide rod and spring ?

Gomar83

I am shooting a M&P 40 4.25" barrel I was wondering what are the advantages or disadvantages of a none captured round recoil spring (1911 style) to a  captured flat coil recoil spring (factory) and a heaver guide rod. 

I use non captured springs in my M&P's because I reload and I can change from 11-13lbs springs. I find that it helps with the recoil. You can tune them to your liking. I'm sure that you'll find my scientific answers in the 1911 section.

You can change recoil springs quickly with a non captured guide rod. You can also buy a heavier guide rod from Speed Shooter Specialties to increase the muzzle weight to help with recoil.

As far as downsides, I find it harder to reassemble the pistol using the non captured guide rod.

On 3/16/2017 at 4:47 PM, Gomar83 said:

has anybody used a Sprinco recoil reducer system on a M&P before?

On 3/24/2017 at 4:08 PM, Gomar83 said:

Is that a captured spring or none captured spring?

What benefit exactly are you looking for here?

Run an 11-13 pound spring of profile and captured status that you find that you like (I bought all 3 and settled on a 13 with my preferred load) and learn to grip the gun with about four times the pressure of your average shooter... and go run several thousand rounds through it without changing anything

You'll shoot it pretty well after that. ;)