Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Serious Mistake

SCinTX

Well, I went to the range today to finish the break in on my new CK Arms .40.  The advice I had was to shoot no more than one magazine every ten minutes.  So knowing I'd have some time on my hands, I brought a few other handguns: my 9mm STI Edge, Glock 17, and FNS-9C.  Of course, the Glock and FN feel like crap compared to the CK.  So I'm thinking maybe I should sell the 9C and get a 1911 carry gun.  Any recommendations?  

Thats interesting.  If you read Brazos recommendation for break in he suggests getting the gun hot so it swells and breaks in.  I honestly don't take much stock in so called break in periods.  Doesn't matter who you ask the theories are different.

yeah nothing beats a 1911/2011 trigger, and ergos.  wilson just announced a double stack 1911-style carry gun in 9mm that seems to be well received.

the appeal of the glocks for carry though are their reliability vs 1911/2011 that can have a hiccup every once in a while.  plus the extra capacity over a true single stack.

27 minutes ago, Edge40 said:

Thats interesting.  If you read Brazos recommendation for break in he suggests getting the gun hot so it swells and breaks in.  I honestly don't take much stock in so called break in periods.  Doesn't matter who you ask the theories are different.

I asked CK Arms via Facebook.  I figured there was no harm in following their instructions, and there might be some good in it.  I used the Brazos recommendations for my Edge.  

If you want a nice 1911 style carry gun, take a look at the Springfield Armory EMP4 in 9mm. The magazines hold 10 rounds so you will be 10+1. If you buy used, make sure you are getting the EMP4. The early EMPs were 9+1 guns. 

I have an EMP4 and it is a nice shooting pistol. I think Springfield Armory is running a deal on free magazines right now for early 2017 purchases.

Your the option would be to check out the STI line of carry pistols both single stack and double stack.

7 hours ago, jwhittin said:

Don't the EMPs use non standard parts? How about a Dan Wesson Guardian in 38 super. Gives you 9+1. Great value for the $$.  You can also get it in 9. 

Yes.  Which is why they work with 9mm perfectly.  

i got a wilson professional lightweight 4" 1911 .45 for carry and to play in idpa's ccp division.  of course they changed the friggin rules, but it's still a very nice carry gun and i use a milt sparks summer special 2 holster.  but i usually carry either my glock 32 or 23 (more capacity and 100% reliable, although i can't remember any issues with the wilson), either aiwb in a jm custom kydex or 4-430 with the ms ss2.

Yes.  Which is why they work with 9mm perfectly.  

Yep, you are correct about that. Mine runs fantastic.

Actually, just the frame size is a bit different, as are the magazines. Everything else is pure 1911 design with parts interchangeability. Springfield rightly realized the standard 1911 magazines were just too large for the COAL of the 9mm cartridge and that contributed greatly to reliability of 1911 9mm pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:59 PM, Dranoel said:

I have a simple break-in routine. Clean the gun thoroughly. Oil it liberally with graphite oil. Shoot the hell out of it. :D

You supposed to oil and clean prior? Shoot, I take it out of the box, make sure there isn't crap in the barrel and shoot the snot out of it....then I clean it.

On 3/14/2017 at 2:08 PM, SCinTX said:

...  Of course, the Glock and FN feel like crap compared to the CK.  So I'm thinking maybe I should sell the 9C and get a 1911 carry gun.  Any recommendations?  

One thing to consider though, how long does it take to field strip your Glock and put it back together vs any of your 1911 guns? Not to mention tools needed ;).