Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idea for a Tanfoglio Course

Balakay

I do not own a Tanfoglio (yet). I am a 1911/2011 fan and carry a CZ PCR.  However, I read every thread about Tanfoglios and I am very impressed with the work of Patriot Defense and some of our home gunsmiths on the forum. To be honest, I am intimidated with the complexity of the gun. Despite some excellent YouTube videos, I am somewhat reluctant to buy a Stock2, break out the Dremel and start chasing a 5# DA. Everyone has different learning styles and I know I am not alone here.   I would love to have an expert walk me through the process, step by step.  When I first starting shooting 1911s, I took a 1911 Armorer course that proved to be very helpful. 

The Idea (Maybe sponsored by Patriot Defense)

• A one day course taught by a Tanfo guru
  • Ideal venue is a classroom at a gun range
  • Bring your own Tanfoglio
  • Learn to detail strip it down to every tiny part/spring
  • Tools can be provided or attendees will be given a list of what to bring (Brownell's catalog #s, what grain of sandpaper, polishing compound, etc.)
  • PD could bring bring a selection of their parts (BOLO, springs, etc) that would be available for students to purchase and learn to install at the course 
  • A step by step tutorial on how to tune/ polish the innards to achieve the desired trigger pull
  • If a 2 or 3 day course is feasible, maybe add this on to a USPSA skills and drills type class

I think that this idea could apply to CZs as well.  I love my CGW PCR but I wish that I could have bought the parts from them and done the work myself.

I'm prooooobably going to post some (much!) more in depth videos on Tanfo tuning basics within a few weeks.

These guns are simple. Really, really simple. Ideally I'd talk someone nearby into getting their unmodified gun into my hands, and walk through a full step by step build. 

Even without that, however, a step-by-step teardown and rebuild and fitting guide is what most of you guys are wanting.

The pair of videos by the Australian guy are good. But I know I can do a lot better for those of us looking to learn how to build a production gun.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

We've considered the idea of an in depth video that discusses the different ways to achieve different goals with your Tanfo. This would even go as far as discussing how to change the "timing" in you gun when the SA breaks, re-profiling the BOLO for a longer DA pull, and a few other areas that aren't widely discussed in the open........ However time seems to be the limiting factor here and i dont see myself being free until this summer..... Maybe i can get JoAnna to start cranking out guns a little quicker......

1 hour ago, PatriotDefense said:

We've considered the idea of an in depth video that discusses the different ways to achieve different goals with your Tanfo. This would even go as far as discussing how to change the "timing" in you gun when the SA breaks, re-profiling the BOLO for a longer DA pull, and a few other areas that aren't widely discussed in the open........ However time seems to be the limiting factor here and i dont see myself being free until this summer..... Maybe i can get JoAnna to start cranking out guns a little quicker......

Nope, don't know anything about any of those. ;) 

3 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

So, in 59 words or less.... what's the secret sause to lengthen bolo DA stroke?

3 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

The broad concepts are the same, with only a few slight differences between CZs and Tanfos

This is a fantastic resource.

I still would like to see it live, under the watchful eye of an expert. Kind of like when I learned how to do angioplasty. Watching videos and learning on simulators are great tools but IMHO an adjunct, not a substitute for live instruction

Do like a FaceTime or Facebook messenger video call. Shouldn't be too hard. But time is money. You aren't going to get any actual gunsmith to stop building actual guns for customers who pay money, to do a FaceTime of building your own gun for free fiddy. 

Edited by ryridesmotox

42 minutes ago, ryridesmotox said:

Do like a FaceTime or Facebook messenger video call. Shouldn't be too hard. But time is money. You aren't going to get any actual gunsmith to stop building actual guns for customers who pay money, to do a FaceTime of building your own gun for free fiddy. 

I'm not so sure that it isn't financially viable. 10 students at a weekend one day course for $350 plus whatever additional parts they purchase  is probably more money than a gunsmith would make in a single day.  Especially if it's local and the instructor has no significant travel expenses. 

Nonsense... No better time to smith something out of reliability than right before a match. 

It's not like waiting would give me any better luck on the classifier, a meteor would come strike me down before I could run a clean classifier.

24 minutes ago, johnbu said:

I'm sensing you may have messed up a classifier ?  lol

Seriously it's always something... My rear sight came loose right before the last classifier. The time before that, front sight came loose. Before that, had a magazine get stuck randomly even though all of mine have always dropped free... No explanation and it never did it again. And before that it was reliability problems that have since been ironed out with my current setup. Rofl

Evil Kermit 16032017083021.jpg

Edited by ryridesmotox

All of the posts on this forum have been incredibly helpful. I polished up the basics and installed all the go-fast parts. I may be mistaken but with a 13# hammer spring I'm crushing S&B primers. Also, with Bayou 147gr, I can load out to 1.135 without issue. Still going to send my barrel out to be reamed so that it feeds 1.150 like the rest of my 2011s. 

Unfortunely to run SSP I'll have to put the stock hammer back in. But good lord this gun is accurate. If I miss a shot it's definitely not the gun's fault. 

22 hours ago, ryridesmotox said:

Seriously it's always something... My rear sight came loose right before the last classifier. The time before that, front sight came loose. Before that, had a magazine get stuck randomly even though all of mine have always dropped free... No explanation and it never did it again. And before that it was reliability problems that have since been ironed out with my current setup. Rofl

Evil Kermit 16032017083021.jpg

That MEME is hilarious!!!