Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon lubed cases sticking?

ihocky2

I loaded about 2500 .223 last year without a hickup using the Dillon case lube. Processing brass lately I've run into my 3rd stuck case in less than 700 pieces of brass. First two were L.C. and the latest was PMC. I am using an RCBS FL sizing die, same one as last year and cleaned after first stuck case. I am not sure where the problem is coming from. I lay the brass in a pizza box, spray with a few spritzes of lube, shuffle up to turn over and distrubute lube and spray again to make sure completely coated. After a couple minutes I start resizing. Is there anything I should change?

While it is not causing the sticking, is there anything that will help lubing the inside of the necks to make resizing easier?

The cardboard is probably absorbing some of the case lube. I've been using gallon zip top freezer bags for lubing. Fill about 3/4 full with brass, give it 3 squirts of lube, seal the bag, roll the bag back and forth, give it 2 more squirts, roll it some more. Wait a few minutes before sizing.

I agree that you need more lube. I used a plastic container with a lid, spray and shake and spray and shake.  You should also let the lube settle a little before you start.  You almost can't have enough of the Dillon lube but you do need to let the brass sit so it can distribute itself.  

On 3/14/2017 at 3:21 PM, ihocky2 said:

I loaded about 2500 .223 last year without a hickup using the Dillon case lube. Processing brass lately I've run into my 3rd stuck case in less than 700 pieces of brass. First two were L.C. and the latest was PMC. I am using an RCBS FL sizing die, same one as last year and cleaned after first stuck case. I am not sure where the problem is coming from. I lay the brass in a pizza box, spray with a few spritzes of lube, shuffle up to turn over and distrubute lube and spray again to make sure completely coated. After a couple minutes I start resizing. Is there anything I should change?

While it is not causing the sticking, is there anything that will help lubing the inside of the necks to make resizing easier?

3 in 700 just sounds like a few pieces didn't get lube during the shaking process. I use home made dillon lube and it works great but occasionally I still come across a "dry" 9mm case and it's really tough so I can imagine a rifle case getting stuck easily.

On 3/15/2017 at 8:29 AM, Dan Sierpina said:

The cardboard is probably absorbing some of the case lube. I've been using gallon zip top freezer bags for lubing. Fill about 3/4 full with brass, give it 3 squirts of lube, seal the bag, roll the bag back and forth, give it 2 more squirts, roll it some more. Wait a few minutes before sizing.

I use the same method of gallon zip top freezer bags for lubing as above, but I squeeze and work the brass inside the bag by hand.  I found that this method got enough lube in and around the case mouth was enough to lube the inside the case necks. 

I have been reloading for over 47 years and this method works better than anything else I have used in the past.

Edited by bigedp51

39 minutes ago, 57K said:

Just curious because I have never used the Dillon spritz. But isn't there a recommendation for drying time before you resize? I know that Hornady recommends 30 minutes for One Shot before you resize.

Dillon lube doesn't dry, it's alcohol and lanolin.

I put my pistol brass in an aluminum pan like a caterer uses and you get at Wally World .  Spray once, shake, let sit for ten minutes and into the case feeder.   With 5.56 I spray twice.  Still using Dillon lube.   Trays are cheap and disposable.   A bulk pack used to last a long time until my wife found out I had them.  I get raided on the holidays.   But she does feed me pretty good.  LOL!

16 hours ago, 57K said:

Yeah, that's kind of the point. With the One-Shot I've never had a stuck case and I load true 5.56 MM NATO rather than misrepresented .223 REM. I use Alox for big bore as well as what I started with reloading for the .41 magnum with steel dies.So with what you guys have said about your methods using the Dillon spritz, how did the OP get stuck cases?

My only guess is that the O.P. was using a cardboard box to lube in. It is possible that lube was being absorbed, or just not enough lube for the amount of cases.

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Dan Sierpina said:

Dillon lube doesn't dry, it's alcohol and lanolin.

In a way it does dry, actually the alcohol evaperates, leaving only the lanolin. The alcohol is there to get the lanolin to flow.

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 11:05 PM, 57K said:

Yeah, that's kind of the point. With the One-Shot I've never had a stuck case and I load true 5.56 MM NATO rather than misrepresented .223 REM. I use Alox for big bore as well as what I started with reloading for the .41 magnum with steel dies.So with what you guys have said about your methods using the Dillon spritz, how did the OP get stuck cases?

Can I use alox for case lube? I cast and powder coat my own bullets and have alox left over from my bullet swaging dies.

Edited by rustybayonet

5 hours ago, rustybayonet said:

Can I use alox for case lube? I cast and powder coat my own bullets and have alox left over from my bullet swaging dies.

I assume you're referring to liquid alox, since you'd need to melt the blocks of pure alox to apply it to your cases. Liquid alox would technically work as a lubricant, but its horribly messy, and difficult to remove from cases. You wouldn't be able to leave your cases uncleaned and shoot your cartridges either. It has to be removed completely. BTW LEE liquid alox original purpose was as an automotive rustproofer, and it has very strong ties to cosmoline. Many of us know what a pain cosmo can be to remove from metal.

7 hours ago, anachronism said:

I assume you're referring to liquid alox, since you'd need to melt the blocks of pure alox to apply it to your cases. Liquid alox would technically work as a lubricant, but its horribly messy, and difficult to remove from cases. You wouldn't be able to leave your cases uncleaned and shoot your cartridges either. It has to be removed completely. BTW LEE liquid alox original purpose was as an automotive rustproofer, and it has very strong ties to cosmoline. Many of us know what a pain cosmo can be to remove from metal.

Oh :( maybe I just leave it where it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I use DIllon case lube for rifle, and One Shot for pistol.  Same method, basically same as Dillon vid above, although I use a tupperware type container instead of a metal plan.  KOW no stuck cases yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Dillon case lube never worked well for me. If you haven’t tried the Hornady One Shot spray lube, do yourself a favor it’s amazing stuff.  And you don’t have to re-clean your brass after using it 

On 3/28/2017 at 9:12 AM, jhgtyre said:

After lubing your cases with the Dillon Lube you need to wait 10 - 15 minutes.  This video shows the process as recommended by the company.

Hmm... I lube throw in CF and start cranking. Never had a problem.

A lot of time the Dillon lube will separate with the lanolin forming a layer at the bottom of the bottle, even standing overnite. It's hard to see too, but it's there. If you don't shake the bottle a bunch all you will get is alcohol on the brass. I find when shaken well and allowed to dry on the brass before using the Dillon lube is way superior to one shot. I won't use anything but Dillon lube on pistol and rifle brass.

Maybe I mixed mine with a different ratio than dillon, but my homemade concoction if alcohol and lanolin always seems to work better than Dillon's case lube in my 650. I shake well before use and allow enough time for the alcohol to evaporate.