Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

frozen safety

unclebill49

I just picked up a used MKA 1919 and I can not get the safety selector off "S" to "F".

The gun appears in great shape, so I am hoping for the best.

I haven't taken the lower receiver apart and was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem.

Thank you

Bill

We need a little bit of background to properly figure out a solution. Try pulling the trigger while moving the safety. Also try moving the safety while pushing hammer up and down. If its stuck any of those should help. Other than that you can take the safety detent spring out and that will loose the whole safety. 

Anyways give that a try, if it doesnt work come back and explain a little more.

Sorry for the confusion. 

The shot gun safety selection handle is on "S" and I can not get it to "F" to fire the weapon.  I have tried charging the weapon with and without a round in the chamber and inserting the mag with and without a round in it and it will not move.

Yes I have tried what you have suggested akaider and there is no wiggle room with the trigger.

I will disassemble the shot gun so that I can get to the detent after I here back from all of you.

Thanks again

Bill

I took the lower apart and removed the safely detent spring and everything worked.  But if I put it all together and left the selection for the safety to "S" and charged the gun it wouldn't work.  But if I selected "F" position and charged the gun and would fire.

So If I load the gun, charge it and put the selection to "S" it will not allow me to change the selection to "F" and fire the gun.

I have been waiting to hear back from Tooth and Nail Armory about their replacement safety.  They had a 3 gun contest over the weekend and said they will be a little behind on returning messages.  I did call them again today and got the same recording.

I might take to a local gun smith and see what they say.  And I will post the results.

Thank you for checking in and your help.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I missed this one.

Is your detent a single piece setup, or 3?

The older models were 3 separate pieces and could be rather stiff at times.

We have a single captured ball detent to replace the 3 piece ones, should fix your problem.

Thank you, I could only remove the set screw and spring.  With a little tapping I was able to remove the last part.

I will go to your web page and order single captured ball detent.

Will you be getting anymore factory Pre-XN & XN lower?

Bill

PS: I just got off your web site and saw you had the lower in stock and order it and the single captured ball detent.

Thanks again for your help

Edited by unclebill49