Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP-01 info needed

GrumpyOne

A little back story. ..

We have a weekly falling plate match at a local indoor range. One of our regular shooters, an older lady, has been searching for months for the best gun for her to shoot at this match. She has tried dozens of different guns, some she shot better, some not so much. I had offered several times to let her shoot my Shadow, but upon picking it up, she always said "It's too heavy"...Last night, as she was trying different guns yet again, trying to find the one that fit her small hands the best, she asked if she could shoot the Shadow...Of course, I said yes...So, with the Shadow, she can work the slide (she's not very strong, and on other semi autos, this can be a problem for her), and all the ergos fit her. 

So, we loaded her up, sent her to the stage, and she shot faster and more accurately than she ever has before with any gun, and came away from the line with a huge ear to ear smile. Guess what, she wants one...but the cost of a Shadow is somewhat prohibitive to her.

What would it take to have a box stock SP-01 to feel very similar to a Shadow? I mean spring wise, trigger wise, and sight wise? I'm pretty sure that she will have to go with some thin grips, and most likely change out the sights. Bear in mind, she will never shoot USPSA with it, nor Steel Challenge.

So, what are the bare bones upgrades needed?

Thanks in advance!

Can she make it SA only?

If so, I'd get the CGW race hammer (or CZC hammer), CGW adjustable sear, SA trigger, and ditch the DA disco and associated swag.

This would be a short crisp trigger pull of around -4.0 pounds with stock springs. 

11 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

Can she make it SA only?

If so, I'd get the CGW race hammer (or CZC hammer), CGW adjustable sear, SA trigger, and ditch the DA disco and associated swag.

This would be a short crisp trigger pull of around -4.0 pounds with stock springs. 

I agree with above, on my brother's sp-01 I installed CGW disco,short reset , CZC prod. hammer, 13# mainspring, 11# recoil, polished internals and I got him a slightly under 3# SA and 7# DA 

50 minutes ago, Hi_Im_Vinh said:

I agree with above, on my brother's sp-01 I installed CGW disco,short reset , CZC prod. hammer, 13# mainspring, 11# recoil, polished internals and I got him a slightly under 3# SA and 7# DA 

So, how much for those parts total? Trying to give her a ballpark figure for total package.

She might also want thin aluminum grips too. I have a set on mine and they fit my small hands perfectly.

You should probably look for a used shadow, can find one for about 800-900$ with all the goodies. Might need new springs but those only 30-40$.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

i'm thinking buy the sp-01 with all the work done @ cajun gun works for about   1K

i parted my build out slowly, I  would just go full cajun  if i did it again  https://cajungunworks.com/product/91152-sp-01-998-00/

if you DIY

spo1  $700

parts  $250

so the complete package from cajun make $$ sense  all you will need to ad is f/o sights   plus this gets you a gun way better than a stock shadow

but in my memory serves me the shadow is a saftey version spo1 with firing pin block removed  with f/o sight . and  i think different trigger,  i also recall a 3rd mag with shadow.              at this point you are are about  $200 in parts.  

spacer to replace 14 lifter, i think the remove or mod the FPB ,  fiber optic sight, 85 c trigger

Edited by biglou13
edit

5 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

So, how much for those parts total? Trying to give her a ballpark figure for total package.

The CGW Pro-Package retails $280 https://cajungunworks.com/product/75115-production-legal-pro-package-kit-for-manuel-safety/

I'd go that route , plus a F/O front sight , Lok Thin Grips , CGW 10x Bushing , polishing internals and you have a sweet shooter... I have 2 Sp-01 ( a basic model and shadow sp-01) both with work done.

If I had to do it all over again I'd just buy a basic sp-01 and do the CGW prokit

44 minutes ago, ArrDave said:

At a minimum she just needs the SRS-2 kit with a reduced power recoil spring + sights.  You can go hog wild with the disco and the hammer if you want, but she won't miss them.  

That's more what I'm thinking. She is used to heavy triggers as it is...she double tapped twice last night using mine...

2 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

That's more what I'm thinking. She is used to heavy triggers as it is...she double tapped twice last night using mine...

I have a 75B and a 75C set up that way - single action is just north of 4# and double action is a hair under 8# - very manageable. 

Cheapest way to get it shooting better than the shadow would be to rip out the firing pin block and disco and convert it to SAO using a TS hammer ($30) bucks and a SAO trigger with pre and post travel screws, that and a good polish job and it will be golden.

For what I paid for an SP-01 and the cajun parts I should have just went with the shadow to start.   The place I just picked up my 2 shadow oranges had a bunch of regular shadows in stock for $839ish.     I paid $675 plus $80 plus whatever the cajun kit cost.   

4 hours ago, ArrDave said:

At a minimum she just needs the SRS-2 kit with a reduced power recoil spring + sights.  You can go hog wild with the disco and the hammer if you want, but she won't miss them.  

This plus polishing of the trigger bar and the reduced power trigger return spring is all I really did. 4.5lb SA trigger, 7.5 DA. 

The short lifter with the extended firing pin help with the lower trigger pull and keep the reliability the same. The trigger return spring and firing pin retainer are also common points of failure with OEM parts, so it's good to upgrade those right away. 

I've been shooting an CZ75 SP01 for 7+ years.  Love it.  Looking at the USPSA Production list for pistol weights, I don't see much weight differences -- approx. 1 to 2 ozs. between Shadow models listed and the SP-01.

I suggest before making a decision she shoot a CZ85 Tactical (CZ may have dropped this from their product line), maybe a  straight CZ75, or maybe a P-09 as well.

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

An SP01 all tricked out will run about a grand, but if you're on a budget all you really need is a 13# hammer spring and some sand paper.

Thanks! That's the kind of info I'm looking for! 

Remember guys, we aren't trying to turn it into a Shadow, or even a USPSA gun....just something that she can shoot that has a fair trigger.

75B Omega with better sights and springs

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

To complete the thought... You get a slightly lighter gun than SP01, with a high grip like SP01.

Also have the ability to make it a decocker or safety, depending on your friend's preference.

Finally, you can add the CGW kit at a later time after she gets comfortable with her new gun.

It will not match your Shadow but it sounds like you are looking for a solution that will fit a budget.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk