Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which coated bullets for shooting 38SC major open ?

zipollini

Am shooting an STI DVC open gun chambered in 38SC and have been shooting MG 124g JHPs at a PF=170 which are costing me a small fortune. So what kind of coated bullets are you guys running thru your open guns for practice. I figure I will stick with the MGs for matches but need something cheaper for practice.

Thanks in advance.

I had good luck with BBI 125gr although the avg weight is 127 gr. No lead or polymer in the comp at 172 PF. Next , will try the 115gr (118gr avg) and report back. The fact that you need less powder to achieve the same velocity is attractive to me as I have a ton of N105 that I could never use with 115 gr because the case was full before getting to the desired PF.
My match load is MG 121gr behind 10.5gr of 3N38.

6 hours ago, zipollini said:

Am shooting an STI DVC open gun chambered in 38SC and have been shooting MG 124g JHPs at a PF=170 which are costing me a small fortune. So what kind of coated bullets are you guys running thru your open guns for practice. I figure I will stick with the MGs for matches but need something cheaper for practice.

Thanks in advance.

Check out Precision Delta, and stick with JHPs. $89/1000 to your door.

will save you some money on your match ammo, and will keep JHP performance on your practice ammo. 

15 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

will save you some money on your match ammo, and will keep JHP performance on your practice ammo. 

I see 9mm (.355") JHP listed but no 38Super (.356") JHP. Any problem using 9mm .355" bullets in place of the 38Super (.356") bullets ?

.355 bullets work great out of a 38 super. You may gain a little accuracy with a .356 bullet. Basically the only difference. Unless your barrel is actually .356 (most are .355 I think) then .356 is what you should shoot.  When I used to shoot 38sc, I always bought zero .356 because I could always find them in stock and like the accuracy. But now shooting 9 major, I notice a velocity decrease using zero bullets and HAP. So I use precision deltas .355. JHP. 

8 hours ago, zipollini said:

I see 9mm (.355") JHP listed but no 38Super (.356") JHP. Any problem using 9mm .355" bullets in place of the 38Super (.356") bullets ?

Almost all open shooters shoot .355 barrels and .355 JHPs.  Some Tru bors are true .356 Super barrels, but even then the .355s should perform well. 

On 3/14/2017 at 1:58 AM, zipollini said:

Thanks in advance.

http://www.bayoubullets.net/

Bayou has a 124 RN in .355, .356 or .357 for $236 (3500 ct.).

I used to run Blue Bullets in open, now I'm shooting limited. For comparison they are $242 per case 125 gr (3600 ct) shipped which is $67.23/1000. You can use the code Ennis to save 5% off those numbers making them $229.9 shipped (3600 ct) that's $63.87 / 1000

If I did all my math right...

On 3/14/2017 at 9:36 AM, Ssanders224 said:

I like PD's sometimes. But PD at $89/1000 and MG at $92/1000 isn't a very significant savings. 

6 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

121 MG's to 124 PD's.

For the sake of comparison (and because 124 is specifically the bullet the OP mentioned)... apples to apples makes more sense. 

If not shooting IPSC, and a lighter bullet is desired, going to a 115 and saving a few more bucks would be a good option.   

Buy Blue Bullets 125 gr in quantities of 10,800 which is 3 cases. Pay with a Check and send in your order Snail Mail to recieve 12% off bringing cost per round down to .59Cents per.

I split an order with a buddy and go that route.

4 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

For the sake of comparison (and because 124 is specifically the bullet the OP mentioned)... apples to apples makes more sense.   

All true but I was going for subtle advice.