Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken trigger return spring, how common?

OPENB

27 minutes ago, OPENB said:

I broke the trigger return spring on my LimPro tonight. How common is this? Do I need to buy a dozen spares? That spring is a PITA to install, I think.

Springs have a fatigue life, we recommend changing them out every 5,000-8,000 cycles, many others go much further with their spring cycles. With that said if you have a BOLO the pin works wanders as a slave pin for holding the TRS in place while you hammer the roll pin back home.

I ordered some PD TRS last night. Hope I can get them before the weekend, we have a classifier match Sunday, & I wanted to get my CO classification. This gun with a Vortex Venom & Taylor Freelance base pads rocks for a carry optics gun. 

7 minutes ago, OPENB said:

I ordered some PD TRS last night. Hope I can get them before the weekend, we have a classifier match Sunday, & I wanted to get my CO classification. This gun with a Vortex Venom & Taylor Freelance base pads rocks for a carry optics gun. 

order will ship out ASAP

5 minutes ago, OPENB said:

What keeps the Canik pin in place? If it's easier to get in, it can't have the same tension as the spring roll pin. 

The TRS keeps the Canik pin in place... it floats around slightly but it does make things easier to get in and out......

Some people don't like that the trigger can rock sideways slightly. It only matters on the bench - you don't notice it when shooting. Highly recommend.

(It's the CGW brand trigger pin for the Canik line of pistols that you're looking for.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

57 minutes ago, OPENB said:

I broke 2 TRS on my shadow already, always have some backup in your range bag would be handy.

you mentioned classifier match on Sunday, you mean this Sunday in Miamisburg right? 

16 minutes ago, philippshen said:

I broke 2 TRS on my shadow already, always have some backup in your range bag would be handy.

you mentioned classifier match on Sunday, you mean this Sunday in Miamisburg right? 

Yeah, I've been messing around with this LimPro for CO. First I broke the Shield/JPoint that was on it, then I broke the cheap Primary Arms green dot that I had laying around. I spent lots of time trying to get S&B primers to fire in DA. Gave up & just use a Federal for the first round. I was told it had a Titan hammer in it when I bought it, but it's a lightweight Hart. A Titan would fix the light strikes.  Finally shot a pretty good Monday night match with it last week, then broke a TRS last night. After doing some background, found out this was Twinkie's gun, & she has a video up where she tells Ben she has gone through several TRS. Ben said he's never broken one in a Stock II. It's accurate but a very "experienced" gun & I don't really want to put a lot more money in it. This will probably be my only foray into Tangfos. My open guns are Glock-like compared to this. 

I have no knowledge of that gun or the tinkering and smithing that went into it.

But....

There have been reports of "interesting" modifications performed on early guns prior to the current  aftermarket part support. Guys were forced to do things to make the trigger lighter that, in hindsight, are not advised with today's part selections.

If you want the gun to really run the way a tanfo can run, either work it with PatriotDefense parts or send it to Joe at PD. Given it's unique history, sending it to Joe is probably the way to go. 

Oh, my opinion is the TRS can be damaged when inserting the pin, leading to failures. People that struggle to get the trigger aligned might force things because they don't use a slave pin to hold the spring in the trigger. 

Edited by johnbu

2 hours ago, OPENB said:

Yeah, I've been messing around with this LimPro for CO. First I broke the Shield/JPoint that was on it, then I broke the cheap Primary Arms green dot that I had laying around. I spent lots of time trying to get S&B primers to fire in DA. Gave up & just use a Federal for the first round. I was told it had a Titan hammer in it when I bought it, but it's a lightweight Hart. A Titan would fix the light strikes.  Finally shot a pretty good Monday night match with it last week, then broke a TRS last night. After doing some background, found out this was Twinkie's gun, & she has a video up where she tells Ben she has gone through several TRS. Ben said he's never broken one in a Stock II. It's accurate but a very "experienced" gun & I don't really want to put a lot more money in it. This will probably be my only foray into Tangfos. My open guns are Glock-like compared to this. 

My buddy got three Stock2, at first it was problematic with SB, Win, and CCI primer, however after a lot of tweaks, with a combination of PD firing pin, titan hammer, PD 13lb Hammer spring and PD TRS, his gun now run flawlessly. The DA is about 6lb and 2lb SA now, with little to none noticeable stacking. BTW, none of his s2's had TRS problem<_<.

On 3/14/2017 at 9:33 AM, OPENB said:

I sold the gun to someone who knew full well all the history of the gun and then sold it on. I kinda wish I had it back but it does have a problem of dropping the hammer early. I bet of all the guts were gutted including trigger bar and sear cage it could be returned to reliability. I was not the first person to tinker with that gun and I think it was sold to me as someone's personal gun as "new" at great profit. I had to send it back once to the Smith who sold it to me because of a safety issue. My advice to everyone is to learn how to do your own work or find someone local who knows how to gunsmith. That means sear engagement angles. Everything else is very simple.

That gun did break a lot of springs, but I did dryfire it for many hours a day. Now that I'm old, fat, and lazy and don't dryfire much my springs last forever.

I'd grease the spring coils, use either a CGW or PD TRS, and replace it once a season. So far that's worked for me on my two stock 2's.

I like the trigger in it now. I replaced the sear spring, main spring, firing pin spring, firing pin, all with PD parts. I thought I had it sorted out until last night. I ordered 3 TRS that will be here tomorrow- thanks Joe! It has a BOLO, but the hammer drops too early in DA, causing my light strikes. I may send it to PD  when I get the gumption. Thanks for the background on it, Candice.

I wanted to make sure no one thought I was disparaging Candice in any way about this gun. I found her posts when she sold it to the prior owner, & she was very forthcoming about it. I had talked with her about it off the board, & she was very helpful. I think we agreed a Titan hammer would solve the light strikes, but I'm not sure I want to invest in a complete parts refit right now. Thanks, to all, I think I'm close to having it sorted out. 

I use a CGW CZ Floating TRS pin, I've heard people going with the Canik but with ~15,000rds of use I've never had it close to coming out. Its a good idea to change the TRS spring out frequently, I'd say once in the shooting season. I had one break at the Indiana sectional last year and had to take a zero on a stage, the spring had about a years worth of use on it..now they get changed out about every four months.

On 3/15/2017 at 4:49 PM, OPENB said:

I like the trigger in it now. I replaced the sear spring, main spring, firing pin spring, firing pin, all with PD parts. I thought I had it sorted out until last night. I ordered 3 TRS that will be here tomorrow- thanks Joe! It has a BOLO, but the hammer drops too early in DA, causing my light strikes. I may send it to PD  when I get the gumption. Thanks for the background on it, Candice.

Verify it doesn't have a "reduced" power spring in the trigger bar plunger, and take a look at what the wing of the interrupter looks like (these are the two most common causes for early DA release). I have seen a few guns where somebody got a little over zealous on the polishing of the trigger bar where the wing contacts and that was the cause of the DA releasing to early. 

4 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

Verify it doesn't have a "reduced" power spring in the trigger bar plunger, and take a look at what the wing of the interrupter looks like (these are the two most common causes for early DA release). I have seen a few guns where somebody got a little over zealous on the polishing of the trigger bar where the wing contacts and that was the cause of the DA releasing to early. 

I am certain the plunger spring is reduced power. The disco and trigger bar may be modified.