Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38TJ Open Load Options

cj36d

Been running the following recipe for a couple of years...looking for opportunities to trim some pennies on the bullet cost without sacrificing performance.  Any ideas on some comparable 124's out there??

38TJ Starline Brass

CCI Small Rifle Primers

9.9 Grains 3N38 VV Powder

124 Grain Montana Gold JHP

1.240" OAL

Rainier match 124g and accurate 7, N350, 3n37, WSF, AutoComp, 3n37 and on and on.  If you get in bulk you save the most. But not just 1 or 2 cases, usually you don't get a real break until you go over 30k bullet heads.   Find what you like in bullet, primers, cases and powders then buy for a season or two.  I may hurt a little when you pay for it. They say buy once cry once.  Plus you can always sell if you change divisions or Guns. Good luck. 

Edited by a matt

Thanks for the replies folks.  Agreed on buying in quantity, the past 3 seasons I have been buying 15k at a shot to support my complete season.  I buy in the fall and then load on my Mark 7 through the winter so I don't have to mess around during the season.  

Interested in coated options...Anybody else have experience with coated bullets in open loads?

• 2 weeks later...

Read the other day about the version 2 of the everglades bullets, when purchased in bulk they supposedly awesome bullets and a fair price.  Also try aa#7 for a great gassy powder for a better price point then vv powder.   Cyrene load for me with my super is 10.5 gr @1.235 oal with a124 hp