Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who needs to be a RO ?

Fredfredfred

I was wondering who should be a RO ? By that I mean who should go through the NROI course ? Does everyone that runs the clock in any match, or only large matches ?

I used the search feature and got threads about everything except that, Lol. Feel free to link a pertinent thread !

Thanks !

IMO anyone who has been a regular at local matches should become an RO. And more importantly help setup and run the match to some degree. I've seen far to many people burn out because they are one of 5-6 people who make a match happen for 50+ people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm, when I became an RO I got a better understanding of the rules which helped my match performance. So I would argue that anyone who wants to improve should become one. 

Now, this is a different question than who should actually RO people at a match. In my opinion, it has to be someone who is not on a power trip, willing to help new shooters and is willing to inform a GM that they just DQ'ed themselves. 

4 minutes ago, Fredfredfred said:

I guess one of the big questions I have is do you have to be a certified RO to RO ?

Guess you don't have to if you know the range commands and the rules....

The class isn't hard.  Why not get certified even if all you do is support your local club?  You don't have to be a dick, but should definately enforce the rules.  Otherwise, when shooter go to a Level 2 or higher match and get DQd for finger in the trigger or breaking the 180 their first response won't be....."well it's ok at my club"

Well, I was thinking about it, but the closest classes are 10 hours away, so I wouldn't mind if it didn't involve 3 nights in a motel and at 10 hour drive, LOL. That is why I am looking into it. I don't mind RO'ing, but recently I have seen some guys RO and they did not do a great job. Kinda got me to thinking about if a non certified RO should RO.

Taking the RO course is the best thing you can do to improve your knowledge of the rules.

Not all people want to RO shooters,,

I always appreciate the ones who take the leadership of the squad. Run I pad or timer .

33 minutes ago, Fredfredfred said:

I guess one of the big questions I have is do you have to be a certified RO to RO ?

Appendix A1 of the rule book will show you what is required for Level 1-3 and Nationals matches...

Last thing you want in a gun club is somebody running shooters that isn't a stickler for following procedures. When I started I always felt better being run by a certified RO. I got certified my second year shooting USPSA and have always felt I shot better because of it. Maybe you could get enough local members to have a local course. That's what we did and was well worth the investment. This is a big boy game with loaded guns. Sometime it requires time, effort and a cash investment. Do the right thing and you - WE - won't be sorry.

22 hours ago, bullsi45 said:

at one of the clubs i shoot at they want   certified RO to RO .  

At ALL the local clubs I shoot at generally only certified RO's run shooters. That should be the norm in my opinion. Nothing worse than making ready and spoon feeding range commands to the guy holding the timer. Of course it helps that 75% of the people I shoot with are certified. :)

On 3/13/2017 at 9:29 PM, Fredfredfred said:

Well, I was thinking about it, but the closest classes are 10 hours away, so I wouldn't mind if it didn't involve 3 nights in a motel and at 10 hour drive, LOL

Had the same issue, contacted 2 local match directors, they were both happy to put on a class if we could get enough students. Advertised the desire here  & on regional website & at pre match shooters meeting & put a flier up here & there. 

One of the guys ended up putting on a class 90 minutes away. Now I am trained and my local matches are better because several other folks are as well. 

We invest in guns, gear, reloading equipment, match fees and so on for our sport.  Invest a weekend and maybe some travel/hotel expenses and become a certified RO.  I will make you a better competitor and squad mate if nothing else.  I traveled to my first RO class because there was not one near when I wanted to take it and I don't regret it one bit.

after shooting USPSA et al for years, and running shooters for most of that, i took the RO class last year.  i don't think i learned too much of anything i didn't already know (def not saying i know it all as i def don't) but it certainly was a good refresher.  i try to read thru the rules a few times a year and that may have made the class less relevant/beneficial than for folks that haven't cruised thru the rule book.

Edited by davsco

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

FWIW, after a year of shooting USPSA I just took the level 1 RO class. There were several reasons for me personally to take it, foremost being to be able to help more at my local matches. 

My locals normally have at least one carded RO on a squad and they run the timer most of the time. 

Of the 16ish people at the RO class, most were in the 6 month to 2 year bracket in experience. I think most of them were there in the same boat as me. We have enjoyed ourselves at this sport and are now looking to "step it up" both in bettering ourselves and helping more at our locals.

Just my opinion, worth exactly what I charged you for it.

55 minutes ago, Bigzeke said:

My locals normally have at least one carded RO on a squad and they run the timer most of the time. 

They will love you folks for stepping up and helping out. So much more fun to be one of three carded r.o.'s on a squad than to be that one person, with three it is like you get to enjoy being a shooter again.