Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP

Bigzeke

I picked up an SLP to replace my 590 for 3 gun. I know there are differing opinions on them, but it was a deal I could not pass up. It is completely stock. Older model, so it has both pistons. Only tried stuff with the light piston. 2 questions.

First, what choke do you recommend for a do it all? I have a couple different ones, but I am not at the level where I feel that comfortable trying to guess what I need for an individual stage. 

Second, what ammo do you recommend? It has eaten everything I have put in it so far, no reliability issues. Running the light piston for now. I have a Cabelas in town, so Herters target by the case is my cheapest option.

I am very new to 3 gun, been a USPSA shooter for about a year. Advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I would get more than one choke. Improved Cylinder or Light Modified will take care of 90% of your shooting. You may want to add Modified and Full as your 3 gun matches expand the difficulty.

The Herter's works very well, I've been using it for a few years, even in large matches. It's not the ammo that keeps me mid pack. :lol:

3 hours ago, Dan Sierpina said:

I would get more than one choke. Improved Cylinder or Light Modified will take care of 90% of your shooting. You may want to add Modified and Full as your 3 gun matches expand the difficulty.

The Herter's works very well, I've been using it for a few years, even in large matches. It's not the ammo that keeps me mid pack. :lol:

I agree Dan,

Not your ammo. Might have something to do with your recoil pad falling off from time to time.

Just saying.

8 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

I agree Dan,

Not your ammo. Might have something to do with your recoil pad falling off from time to time.

Just saying.

That happened once! The bruise was funny though. Now I keep a "travel size" roll of Gorilla Tape in my bag.

I use three chokes in my Versamax. Light Modified is my general, all round choice. In the occasional stage where all of the shotgun targets are clay birds I use a Cylinder Bore choke. Finally I have an Extra Full tube for when there is an exceptionally hard set target or spinners at longer than necessary range. As for ammo, I perfer a 1 1/8oz load at 1150 - 1200fps. Use whatever brand is cheapest and runs in your gun. I like Remington Gun Club. 

Edited by T Bacus