Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

replace M&P sights -- DIY or gunsmith?

fmiller

My M&P CORE shoots about 9 inches high with the standard sights.

I'd like to use the gun for shooting Production, so using a red dot is out.

I'll likely get some Dawson sights, but was wondering if it's a good idea or not to install myself.

It LOOKS pretty straightforward on youtube... but I'd rather not buy anything twice...

What do you think?

Drifted my factory sights out with a bronze punch.

Drifted an Ameriglo rear and Dawson front in, no fitting.

I should've touched the Dawson a bit with a file, woul've gone easier.

Look out for the plunger disc and spring under the rear.

Just did this on my core about a month ago. My sight pusher had to go in at a angle to push out the rear sight. The front sight was very stiff coming out once it popped loose it came right out. I went with the Dawson sights had to file the front sight about 2 strokes and it pressed right in. The rear went right in no fitting. It cured my POI problem. Dawson garuntees the right POI they will trade sights till it is right. If you have done sight changes before you will not have a problem. If not ask around someone will help you or your smith can fix you up. 

This is great - thanks!

So... inevitable follow-up question - do any of you own sight-pushers?

The price range (50 to 400) is pretty extreme...  but then tapping with a hammer doesn't seem conducive to precise adjustments...

(and no one seems to make an adjustable rear sight for the CORE)

f

As far as the front Dawson sights, file/stone till you can slide it without force half way on, then use drift punch, either the included aluminum one or a heftier brass punch to set silght in middle of slide dovetail. I ground a flat bottom to my brass punch, so more surface area meets the side of sight.

The rear sight is trickier. Fitting is no problem but adjusting is a bit tedious. Easy to move more than is wanted with a hammer and punch. No big deal, as long as you know where you want sight to end up in dovetail. I use a micrometer to measure distance from side of slide to side of sight, in a horizontal plane, using the depth gauge bar sticking out of bottom of micrometer, if all that makes sense. Brownell's has a formula for sight adjustment as I think does Dawson as well.

Have a MGW sight pusher made for Glocks, does not work well for M&P in my limited trials. Not really needed for the 2 M&Ps I have replaced sights on.

Mark

No need for a pusher.  Just use a brass or aluminum drift.  Dont be afraid to hit it.  Center the sight up in the slide and go shoot it.  Adjust if needed.

I wonder if Dawson plans on making the adjustable rear sights again for the M&Ps?  

On 3/16/2017 at 10:56 AM, Kaldor said:

I wonder if Dawson plans on making the adjustable rear sights again for the M&Ps?  

I asked that of Dawson rep a few months ago, he said they are after the boss to do that, as many customers are asking for it, but he has other projects he is working on.

I did mine last year and I definitely think this is something you can do yourself.  I just used a brass punch.  Like everyone said, take it slow.  At least for me, it seemed like I wasn't getting anywhere (taking it slow) and then a few more times with the file and it was almost to the half way point.  The triangle shaped file worked the best for me to keep the all the edges even.  Good luck

On 3/17/2017 at 3:32 PM, mpom said:

I asked that of Dawson rep a few months ago, he said they are after the boss to do that, as many customers are asking for it, but he has other projects he is working on.

I have a set already.  Terrific sights, but I have a friend who has an M&P that is looking to replace the sights on his.

10 hours ago, Kaldor said:

I have a set already.  Terrific sights, but I have a friend who has an M&P that is looking to replace the sights on his.

Did you buy the set recently? Have not seen that on the website.

Mark

On 3/20/2017 at 7:11 PM, mpom said:

Did you buy the set recently? Have not seen that on the website.

Mark

Nope.  Ive had them for a couple years.  I wish I would have bought a couple sets to be honest.

I bought a set of Novak's from Dawson for my 1911 last summer.  Good stuff.  Too bad stupid S&W has to use some proprietary dovetails, so I had to have the slide machined to get them to fit.

The M&P front sights are a bitch to remove. After bending the blade on my sight pusher and mushrooming a brass drift, I finally got it to move with a steel punch. 

Make sure you put it against a hard surface, an armorer's block might not cut it. I used a piece of hardwood. 

Going back in, lots of sights are oversized, use a good diamond file and try it slowly. Couple swipes, test fit, swipe, fit, etc. It should move 1/3 of the way into the dovetail

20 hours ago, daytona955i said:

The M&P front sights are a bitch to remove. After bending the blade on my sight pusher and mushrooming a brass drift, I finally got it to move with a steel punch. 

Make sure you put it against a hard surface, an armorer's block might not cut it. I used a piece of hardwood. 

Going back in, lots of sights are oversized, use a good diamond file and try it slowly. Couple swipes, test fit, swipe, fit, etc. It should move 1/3 of the way into the dovetail

They can be, which is why Kroil, or a similar penetrant, is very helpful. Worked for me multiple times with M&Ps and other firearms.

Don't forget, traditionally sights are installed right to left, so should be removed the same way, to the right, from the shooter's perspective.

A padded vice is really helpful to hold slide when drifting sights, so all force is directed to sight, also reduces chance of slide flying away while convincing sight to move. Would never use a steel punch as it would deform the sight and likely ding the slide should it slip when hit. Guess if all else fails and I had no use for the old sight, I might, with extreme care not to damage the slide.

Sights have to be oversized, as tolerances in dovetails are large, so aftermarket manufacturers make sure they will not get returns because the sights start out loose in some slides. Have had good luck with both metal files and various stones when fitting front and rear sights. Diamond files are faster but not absolutely necessary.

Mark

Edited by mpom

On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 4:11 PM, fmiller said:

My M&P CORE shoots about 9 inches high with the standard sights.

I'd like to use the gun for shooting Production, so using a red dot is out.

I'll likely get some Dawson sights, but was wondering if it's a good idea or not to install myself.

It LOOKS pretty straightforward on youtube... but I'd rather not buy anything twice...

What do you think?

If you have basic mechanical skills and the tools do it.

I've got a sight pusher that I would be happy to loan to anyone wanting to change out their M&P sights. It just sits now that I have mine set up as I want at this point.

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2017 at 4:44 PM, daytona955i said:

This. I put in dawson sights and removing the rear sight was a breeze compared to the front. A good vise will help, and I also had to use a steel punch.

On 6/6/2017 at 5:43 AM, mwx40x40 said:

Maybe a little bit of a thread hi-jack, but does anyone know if the Shield uses the same front sight as it bigger brother the 4.25" M&P?

Different part numbers at Dawson's so I would bet the answer is no they do not interchange. I have installed many Dawson sights on M&P full size, Pro and Shield handguns. Just always ordered the sight specified by Dawson and never tried to interchange.

I have Dawson on my core, I installed them and it wasn't bad. The .180 tall front that came in the kit shot a hair low for me with how I like to hold. So I called them and got the .170 front instead and it fixed it. Just throwing that out there.