Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Bullet Feeders (non electric options)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I make my own bullet drop dies out of steel and brass, they work really well.

AllBulletDrops.jpg

No way I am putting bullets in the tubes one at  time. Throw the bullets on the sorting block and push them one way or the other.

SortingBlock.jpg

Now that everybody is inline. 

SortingBlock2.jpg

• 2 months later...
32 minutes ago, recoilchamp said:

If you have a 3d printer, there's also this design:

I might have one of these on my bench right now, just printed it out over the last 2 days, it works, but needs work...

I'm looking at doing a full do over of it in solid works with a 9mm, 40, 45 and 223 plate and drop tube for the 223, I might play with using the same size unit as a pistol case feed for the hell of it as well.

Motor from >amazon< that mostly lined up with the motor holes and runs at 5 rpm just feed it 12v and it worked great when I was playing with it tonight. I'm also looking at trying it with a smaller right angle 12v DC gear motor. 

On 3/18/2017 at 9:45 AM, Scootertheshooter said:

Can't put a price tag on that Bullet feeder

Recommendation:  Just buy yourself a MBF. You will eventually get there anyway if you are serious about all this. Meanwhile you will spend enough on efforts to avoid buying an MBF. Saving money on some things actually costs more in long run.

2 hours ago, Brooke said:

Recommendation:  Just buy yourself a MBF. You will eventually get there anyway if you are serious about all this. Meanwhile you will spend enough on efforts to avoid buying an MBF. Saving money on some things actually costs more in long run.

So true. I was looking two weeks back at the hornady die setup until I looked for experiences and found just how many people had to adjust things and keep replacing broken parts. Easier to just save up and buy the bullet feeder. there is a reason why you don't see them up for sale individually.

Yep. I've loaded a few thousand 9mm on my 650 this spring with powder check, MBF, and Hornady Seat/Crimp die -- absolutely no problems, and that's with a finicky tight CZ chamber.

That used to be my combo. I still use that setup, but on a 1050 w/Mark 7.

Interesting - I will look into that. My current crimp is Lee FCD to avoid risk of setback with mixed range brass (notably FC, which sucks).

Get a full set of Hornady dies and forget about the Lee FCD! I think the code is Hornady 546516 for the 9mm ones.

The sizing die goes DOWN. As low as it gets!

16 minutes ago, NicoR said:

Get a full set of Hornady dies and forget about the Lee FCD! 

Have to disagree here, the Hornady decapping/resize die is bad -- had all kinds of problems depriming... until I swapped in the Lee. Lee deprime/resize, Hornady seat/crimp. YMMV, this works for me after trial and error.

Have to disagree here, the Hornady decapping/resize die is bad -- had all kinds of problems depriming... until I swapped in the Lee. Lee deprime/resize, Hornady seat/crimp. YMMV, this works for me after trial and error.

Fortunately that's not my case! The depriming is so strong that if the flash hole isn't centered, it will open a new one!

In fact, I've had .22LR cases inside my 9mm ones and the pin would go through those, too.

I frigging hate Hornady dies. The size die was OK for my limited use, but the seat/crimp die sucks, even when adjusted exactly to directions. Tried the Hornady for .380 rounds, and I couldn't get a single dummy round to work correctly in my girlfriends gun. Bought the Lee Deluxe set and in 15 minutes made a bunch of dummy rounds that worked perfectly in her gun. (plunk test, magazine feed, chamber, and extract properly)

I frigging hate Hornady dies. The size die was OK for my limited use, but the seat/crimp die sucks, even when adjusted exactly to directions. Tried the Hornady for .380 rounds, and I couldn't get a single dummy round to work correctly in my girlfriends gun. Bought the Lee Deluxe set and in 15 minutes made a bunch of dummy rounds that worked perfectly in her gun. (plunk test, magazine feed, chamber, and extract properly)

The seat/crimp die doesn't exist for .380 ACP.

Me and my friends use them. Well over 100k rounds combined and not a single problem, EVER. I swear by them.

3 hours ago, NicoR said:

The seat/crimp die doesn't exist for .380 ACP.

Me and my friends use them. Well over 100k rounds combined and not a single problem, EVER. I swear by them.

What brand are you talking about?