Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Bullet Feeders (non electric options)

Jumping to the world of the XL650 for 38super and 9mm later on (like next year).  I'm going to purchase a Case feeder to add on as quickly as budget funding allows, however, I'm not interested in spending another $450+ for the Mr. Bullet Feeder.   Any recommendations for a bullet feeding option with a tube holding 20+ bullets?   Prefer to use the drop through style vs the Lee slide over style.  

Was thinking of just buying the Mr. BulletFeeder Dropper die in 9mm only and running that by itself.  Then if in the future I decide to purchase the machine I'll order in 40sw to cover all my bases. 

Any thoughts here?

Cheers!

EDIT:  Apparently, I've somehow missed ever seeing the Mini Mr. Bullet Feeder, which is exactly what I'm looking for.  And I've just now caught they make a mini case feeder as well.  So I may just buy both of those to get me started. 

Edited by ScottieShootz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, jhgtyre said:

So, and I am not asking this to be a troll or to make fun in any way, how does it save any time to manually fill those tubes with bullets instead of just putting the bullet on the case as you load?

I'll mount my bullet bin next to the top of the tube, thus streamlining my left hand movements, decreasing my split times.    

Using the rotating tubes, you could rack out 100 rounds before spending 2 minutes filling them back up.  To me this would allow faster loading and focusing on powder checking only.  But what do I know, I used to just buy factory ammo and call it a day. 

9 minutes ago, ScottieShootz said:

I'll mount my bullet bin next to the top of the tube, thus streamlining my left hand movements, decreasing my split times.    

Using the rotating tubes, you could rack out 100 rounds before spending 2 minutes filling them back up.  To me this would allow faster loading and focusing on powder checking only.  But what do I know, I used to just buy factory ammo and call it a day. 

So you would maybe prime the tube with a few bullets and then just drop them by hand into the tube with your left hand while running the press with your right?  I could see that being a bit of an expediant.

Just now, jhgtyre said:

So you would maybe prime the tube with a few bullets and then just drop them by hand into the tube?  I could see that being a bit of an expediant.

Ya, I'm thinking I'll not buy the 6 tube set up and just attach a 10in or so tube to the bullet dropper.  Then I can just drop rounds in the tube as I go.  That to me would require less than putting each bullet in the case as I go.  

I bought a mini MBF with 3 magazines on some kind of black friday deal a few months back. I can load all three magazines whenever I have a few minutes to kill. Each holds more than 100. Once I drop it onto the press, I can roll thru rounds pretty swiftly while keeping a close watch on powder. Just glance up every now and then to determine if its time to twist the magazine to the next tube. 320 or so rounds without having to touch a bullet. 

Nowhere near as awesome as the real deal, but beats the pants off dropping a bullet on each case...

Edited by wgj3

I have one, I would suggest you just save your money and when you have enough get a complete unit, it will be cheaper. 

Of course, you do realize there will always be something gating your output? I went through the same process and got the bullet feeder and then primers were the gating item so I got an RF100. Then I figured I was the gating item and got a 1050. It was faster but again I was the gating item so I got a Mark 7. I still can't reload fast enough and hate doing it so I play the lottery and hope someday I will have enough money to just buy factory bullets. 

You could make a knock off mr bulletfeeder, if you have some time, patience, and are at least ok with tools. I just made a casefeeder with a bucket, microwave turntable motor and some ingenuity with acrylic. Not nearly as pretty, but it's functional. Im about to do my own homemade mbf next. I got into reloading to save money/shoot more

Daniel K

I have enough commercial ammo to last me a very long time.  I bought about 6 years ago when things were cheap ahead of the big buy everybody went for and prices for ammo just about doubled.  I got my 650 at the same time with 6 caliber changes and all the aftermarket goodies.  I spent a fortune but it's been way worth it as I didn't think I'd like reloading but love it and shoot my reloads every week at the range. I'm retired so it depends on the weather. Anyway just saving the commercial stuff and love my 650.  I'm not in a hurry for a bullet feeder.  Too many calibers.

On 3/13/2017 at 6:26 PM, jhgtyre said:

So you would maybe prime the tube with a few bullets and then just drop them by hand into the tube with your left hand while running the press with your right?  I could see that being a bit of an expediant.

I actually did that when I was using someone else's press at an overseas match. After spending 30 minutes trying to get it to feed my bullets right in the MBF they had, I just started dropping them in the top of the MBF die.

I went with the mini first to see if I liked it. Its inexpensive way to load quicker. I liked it very much. Did eventually get the mbf for a new 650 I bought. So now I have 2 650 one with mini and one with mbf. I still think it's worth getting the mini. I was the same way didn't want to spend the 450 on the mbf but now I am shooting more matches so it is better for me. Mini on other 650 is for other calibers I don't need to load volume for. 

I do not have an MBF, I have what was known as the DIY bullet feeder, no longer available due to cease and desist order on possible patent infringement from AA. Hobbyist didn't have financial means to fight in court.

Having said that, I load both plated, lead tumbled in lube and lead with lube ring.

I use the bullet feeder for all plated.

For the lead tumble lube, I use a rotating tube bullet feeder designed to fit on my Hornady bullet drop.

For the lead with a lube ring, I use the Hornady metal tube designed for their bullet drop dies.

Why do I do this rather than place each lead bullet? Easy, I can load my tubes (4 on the rotating one, 3 separate ones for the individual), clean my hands, and not touch a lead bullet for up to 100 rounds.

I use the hornady bullet feeder die for loading 9mm on my 650.  I picked up the die for $20.  I got 7/16 od X 4' long clear tube from an aquarium supply store. 4 tubes for $12 shipped.  I made a tube support from some all thread rod I had laying around.  This is a good cheap way to get started for me.    

I looked high and low for those tubes locally and could not find them. I did not try an aquarium only specialty store, so that could be where I went wrong. I'll have to look for one locally.

4 hours ago, Jimk60 said:

I looked high and low for those tubes locally and could not find them. I did not try an aquarium only specialty store, so that could be where I went wrong. I'll have to look for one locally.

Check out Amazon Lee's thin walled tubing or use your Google Fu and search 7/16 clear tubing