Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050 swager......

I just recently got a Dillon Super 1050, and have just about got it all set up, but have a question for those who have experience with the machine.

I only load 9mm ammo with no-crimped brass so Is the swagger back-up die necessary?

The reason I ask is when I remove the case from the die (on the up-stroke) I get a noticeable bump. Very annoying.

Thanks, Mike.

3 hours ago, MikieM said:

I just recently got a Dillon Super 1050, and have just about got it all set up, but have a question for those who have experience with the machine.

I only load 9mm ammo with no-crimped brass so Is the swagger back-up die necessary?

The reason I ask is when I remove the case from the die (on the up-stroke) I get a noticeable bump. Very annoying.

Thanks, Mike.

I'd leave it in if you aren't going to use that station for something else...  You might get a piece of crimped brass some day and be glad you still have it...

2 hours ago, icestud said:

Be careful with the 9mm brass there is NATO brass that is crimped,

This. Unless you are going to closely scrutizine every piece of brass prior to loading. 

• 2 weeks later...

The other reason to leave the swager in in place is if decapping misses a primer. Real obvious when it hits the swaging station and you are able to stop and remove. I even can feel ringers in station 3 (where face of primer rips off but wall portion remains in pocket).

I run only NATO brass and have few primer issues but to me the swaging station is a crucial part of the operation.

On 3/13/2017 at 1:32 PM, MikieM said:

Sounds like there is a problem with the way the press is set up? I load 9mm also (cheap range brass) and have not noticed an annoying bump.

Obviously you do not have to use a swager, I like it partially because it takes a bit more crud out of the primer pockets that does not end up dropping down into your primer slide. Not a big deal, I load Federals (soft) when I can find them, not certain if that is a factor in whether or not the swager is worthwhile. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Sounds like there is a problem with the way the press is set up? I load 9mm also (cheap range brass) and have not noticed an annoying bump.

Obviously you do not have to use a swager, I like it partially because it takes a bit more crud out of the primer pockets that does not end up dropping down into your primer slide. Not a big deal, I load Federals (soft) when I can find them, not certain if that is a factor in whether or not the swager is worthwhile. 

After readjusting the hold-down (top) the bumping noise has gone away.

I inspected a few primer pockets and they are clean as a whistle, and you can't really feel the new primers going in.

I like it.

Thanks everyone.

The back up rod on the 1050 is also the expander. They use a different powder funnel that just flares the case (left).

the SD, 550 and 650 all use powder funnels that expand and flare (center).  So if you ditch the backup rod and use the factory 1050 funnel, you won't have an expander.

IMG_20150414_231942_568_zpsrdhiqruf.jpg

FWIW this is pistol only, for the most part rifle rounds have the expander built into the decapping pin.

Edited by jmorris

Hello: I have just used the pistol powder funnel on my 1050 to load without using the primer swagger setup. I have used the specific powder funnels without the swagger also. They load all the same. I check my brass before I load them in the hopper sorting out the ones that have the rim dented. For 9mm I use the swage station since I have loaded up a couple of 5 gallon pails of crimped brass. It takes a little extra effort on the handle pull but not bad at all. To set the swage station up i cut a piece of brass so that almost all of the upper portion is gone. That way I can set where the anvil and the swagger are touching and how hard. Thanks, Eric

I find the mr bullet feeder stepped funnel to be better than the dillon for both 9 and 40.  Regardless of you using the bullet feeder or not.  Any thump I have ever gotten from the press was the funnel sticking in the case.  Especially really clean unlubed cases.  

9 hours ago, CrashDodson said:

I find the mr bullet feeder stepped funnel to be better than the dillon for both 9 and 40.  Regardless of you using the bullet feeder or not.  Any thump I have ever gotten from the press was the funnel sticking in the case.  Especially really clean unlubed cases.  

This is interesting as I found the Dillon better, at least in 45 - the MBF 45 thumped quite a bit, so I never even tried the 9mm...  Next time I run some 9mm I will give it a try, although tbh the Dillon 9mm funnel worked fine.  Of course since I have started wet tumbling which I hear can make the sticking worse.