Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CBC Brass

IGOTGLOCKED

On 1/7/2018 at 7:11 PM, 858 said:

If I load 147's a little longer I can reduce the number of rounds that won't plunk in a barrel. Aguila I find worse than CBC. Bullet details such as lube grooves and hollow points can cause some bullet designs to be longer than others. Unfortunately I have a lot of CBC mixed in with my range brass so it was easier to figure out how to make it work than cull it out. Non grooved 147gr bullets with tapered bases seated to 1.130" or longer work well and I see maybe 1% fail to chamber check. The failed rounds I still shoot in practice.  

Blanket statements are virtually useless in the reloading world. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/7/2018 at 4:01 PM, njl said:

I also have found that CBC (and Aguila) do not play well with 147gr bullets.  Either gets "ring around the bullet base" and fails the case gauge.  They might still chamber in a loose chamber (i.e. Glock factory barrels), but I just toss both of these aside while loading 147s, to be tried later when loading 124s, or to be scrapped if they don't work out there.

Yeah, don't worry about the case gauge - use the barrel from the gun you are building the rounds for. If they don't P&S rebuild them to fit. If too many "things" have too much variance you'll always be fiddling with something wondering. Correct one thing at a time, it's much less stressful. Consistency is the key to accuracy and satisfaction -IMO

2 hours ago, 57K said:

Some shooters just don't take into account that by controlling the little things, they can add up. Uniform powder charges and OACL can and does make a difference. May not be necessary for plinking and blasting, but very worthwhile for comp and defense loads. What someone else says or does doesn't carry much weight in the amount of time and care I take, and I carry what I handload. In my high velocity 9mm JHP loads (read velocity without +P pressure) I use Silhouette for 124 gr. JHPs and the Golden Saber. I can tell a good bit about the quality of construction for the bullet by its OACL variation and why I stay with presses with Top-Dead-Center. +/- .002" or less is what I like to see. I mention Silhouette and 124s in this case because a change in OACL of even .010" will effect velocity, ES and SD. Same with my 147 gr. JHP loads. It's more of a result of slower burning powders loaded to higher pressure levels. On the other extreme, very fast burning powders like many here use are not effected as greatly with changes in OACL.;)

Amen! And btw - my number is .002 also :cheers:

When I loaded 147 gr .357 Eggleston and .355 BB bullets the nose shape required  1.08 OAL and CBC brass almost 100 % failed due to the thick brass as the bullets seat deeper. 147 ACME FP, X-Treme .356 RN and PD FMJRN all loaded 1.14 and CBC brass loaded just fine. 

I use Dillon 650 and it didn’t matter if it was Lee or Dillon resizing die both worked fine and had similar percentage of failed case gauge tests. The only failure I have now are due to bulged bases on the brass. Probably from less supported chambers on the range pick up brass. As long as the case is still good push resizing these few with the 9x18 die from Lee corrects the issue. 

Edited by HesedTech

On 1/10/2018 at 6:45 PM, HesedTech said:

When I loaded 147 gr .357 Eggleston and .355 BB bullets the nose shape required  1.08 OAL and CBC brass almost 100 % failed due to the thick brass as the bullets seat deeper. 147 ACME FP, X-Treme .356 RN and PD FMJRN all loaded 1.14 and CBC brass loaded just fine. 

I use Dillon 650 and it didn’t matter if it was Lee or Dillon resizing die both worked fine and had similar percentage of failed case gauge tests. The only failure I have now are due to bulged bases on the brass. Probably from less supported chambers on the range pick up brass. As long as the case is still good push resizing these few with the 9x18 die from Lee corrects the issue. 

Gotcha! I have been loading a bunch of (9) Acme 145 RN for practice and IDPA / USPSA. Did have issues with CBC so I just put them aside when I come across them and perhaps if and when I switch to another bullet I'll give them another try...

Happy weekend!

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

It can't be said enough in my opinion. 

If you pay close attention to the technical details in this thread you start to get the idea the solutions are pretty similar. Some posts are more helpful than others. As always, Caveat Emptor.

Reading this thread has given me a better idea of why  bunch of reloads I had with Aguila brass wouldn't shoot in anything but the Glock 19 I have. I knew the case was "bigger" than it should be at the base of the bullet but I couldn't figure out why. I thought the press was buggering it up. The thicker case walls (if the did have it) would explain it.