Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CBC Brass

IGOTGLOCKED

On 3/13/2017 at 2:12 PM, SCTaylor said:

CBC has been giving me fits too, sticking the the powder funnel and primers a bit more difficult to seat. Next time I sort, it's going in the crap bin as well.

Precisely, had to bell more due to thickness and they all stick to powder funnel, lubed. A total pita, I'm done with them...

IGG

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/13/2017 at 2:16 PM, TennJeep1618 said:

One of the guys in my squad at the AL sectional this weekend had a malfunction caused by CBC brass.  He said probably half of his case gauge rejects are CBC.

I gave up on my case gauge and now only use my barrel(s), they just couldn't agree on much...

IGG

On 3/13/2017 at 3:04 PM, Sarge said:

Tweak your dies to it? Typically the only die I ever adjust is seating when I change head stamps.

Had to adjust the bell too, thicker brass = smaller ID.

1 minute ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

I gave up on my case gauge and now only use my barrel(s), they just couldn't agree on much...

IGG

I've found that quite a few of my case gauge rejects will still plunk test fine in my barrels.  Any rejects that are close get tossed into my practice ammo can.  Only case gauged ammo goes to matches.

13 hours ago, SOA1911 said:

S&B is sometimes said to have "tight" primer pockets, but I have not had any problems yet. Too bad all brass is not as good as Starline.

yeah, guess there is a reason for the price...

1 hour ago, 57K said:

That's the point, you wouldn't. This was in relation to thin walled cases, not thick ones. If you run thin cases like Blazer brass, you have more problems to address than just resizing. As IGG mentioned, he's having good results using the blazer brass with oversized bullets since he segregates by headstamp. I do the same with REM brass in .45 ACP that are very thin. I don't chunk 'em in the recycle bucket, I put them in a box until there's enough to warrant loading them with cast/coated bullets. Problem solved.

CBC definitely goes into the recycle bucket!

Seems many are loading CBC with no issues. Try as some might to make reloading seem like rocket surgery, it's really not all that difficult.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Seems many are loading CBC with no issues. Try as some might to make reloading seem like rocket surgery, it's really not all that difficult.

Reloading isn't rocket surgery, but it's not as simple as putting brass, powder, and primers into the press and pulling the handle repeatedly. There could be a lot of different factors that cause individual problems based on someone's setup

Ex: when I first started loading pistol I used a Lee 4 die kit. I noticed that every once in a while a bullet would fall out of the case. I started checking headstamps and they were all CBC. Why did this happen? I am pretty sure I know the reason, but I wonder how obvious the problem would be to other reloaders, especially newer ones.

• 1 month later...

I somewhat understand the " I don't sort anything..clean for 5 minutes and load" syndrome.....but why would anyone load crap brass and shoot a match with it?

I have seen the results twice shooting crap at a match and just shook my head.

Thoughts?

22 minutes ago, TANFARM said:

I somewhat understand the " I don't sort anything..clean for 5 minutes and load" syndrome.....but why would anyone load crap brass and shoot a match with it?

I have seen the results twice shooting crap at a match and just shook my head.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are if you dont care about your results or placing in a match have at it. Otherwise, its stupid. End thoughts.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have found lately my reject % has gone up I guess I need to take a good look at the head stamps to see if it is not just me.  I have the large hips issue most often and they fail to seat all the way in.  

On 1/4/2018 at 2:11 PM, 57K said:

That's definitely a sound approach for thinner walled cases: load .356" bullets and problem solved. A while back I started keeping the CBC cases to use with some bullets that were a bit undersized at .3545". Worked out fine. Seeing similar thickness with S&B brass that has the newer headstamp, even some REM where the headstamps are different from before. It causes me to wonder if S&B and REM are buying cases made by others. ;)

Indeed, have been using .356 on many of them for quite a while and does work well!

45 minutes ago, 858 said:

I have zero CBC rejects with 124gr bullets. 

Your experience is not a guarantee for what will happen for other people.  Whether there are issues depends on the specific gun(s) and the specific components in the loads in question. I had no end of trouble with CBC brass & MG 124 gr JHP bullets because I had to seat them to 1.075" for my guns.  The sharp shoulder at the base of the MG bullets frequently caused the CBC brass to bulge, which caused the rounds in question to fail the plunk test.  Berry's Plated 124 gr RN, on the other hand, I can load all the way out to 1.15", and they have a more rounded shoulder at the base of the bullet, so my incidence of problems with CBC brass is much lower with those bullets.  (I loaded up 500+ rounds of CBC/Berry's 124 gr and shot ~350 of them at my last "lost brass" match; if they're not going to let me pick any up, I'm going to give them the pain in the ass brass, not the good stuff.  :D)  YMMV, depending on which specific components you use, and which guns you use them with.

Edited by olstyn

24 minutes ago, olstyn said:

Your experience is not a guarantee for what will happen for other people.  Whether there are issues depends on the specific gun(s) and the specific components in the loads in question. I had no end of trouble with CBC brass & MG 124 gr JHP bullets because I had to seat them to 1.075" for my guns.  The sharp shoulder at the base of the MG bullets frequently caused the CBC brass to bulge, which caused the rounds in question to fail the plunk test.  Berry's Plated 124 gr RN, on the other hand, I can load all the way out to 1.15", and they have a more rounded shoulder at the base of the bullet, so my incidence of problems with CBC brass is much lower with those bullets.  (I loaded up 500+ rounds of CBC/Berry's 124 gr and shot ~350 of them at my last "lost brass" match; if they're not going to let me pick any up, I'm going to give them the pain in the ass brass, not the good stuff.  :D)  YMMV, depending on which specific components you use, and which guns you use them with.

That's probably why I said "I" and not "you". Don't seat short and your ammo could be as good as mine. You're welcome.

1 hour ago, 858 said:

I find CBC brass works fine with shorter bullets. The case web starts higher up so deep seated 147gr bullets bulge the cases. I have zero CBC rejects with 124gr bullets. 

I also have found that CBC (and Aguila) do not play well with 147gr bullets.  Either gets "ring around the bullet base" and fails the case gauge.  They might still chamber in a loose chamber (i.e. Glock factory barrels), but I just toss both of these aside while loading 147s, to be tried later when loading 124s, or to be scrapped if they don't work out there.

3 hours ago, njl said:

I also have found that CBC (and Aguila) do not play well with 147gr bullets.  Either gets "ring around the bullet base" and fails the case gauge.  They might still chamber in a loose chamber (i.e. Glock factory barrels), but I just toss both of these aside while loading 147s, to be tried later when loading 124s, or to be scrapped if they don't work out there.

If I load 147's a little longer I can reduce the number of rounds that won't plunk in a barrel. Aguila I find worse than CBC. Bullet details such as lube grooves and hollow points can cause some bullet designs to be longer than others. Unfortunately I have a lot of CBC mixed in with my range brass so it was easier to figure out how to make it work than cull it out. Non grooved 147gr bullets with tapered bases seated to 1.130" or longer work well and I see maybe 1% fail to chamber check. The failed rounds I still shoot in practice.  

On 1/7/2018 at 2:42 PM, 57K said:

You da man! In this case it was REM 147 gr. JHPs that I call bubble-butts because of the half-sphere on the base of the bullet.

My method of segregation is a bit different. I continue to load with a LEE Classic Turret, but have found that it's faster to manually index and I throw charges with an RCBS Uniflow. I find thick or thin cases pretty easily by the effort req'd for resizing. I'm also a stickler for top-dead-center from my REDDING press experience. What I set the dies for are actually WIN cases that I find to be about the most consistent in thickness. That isn't for everybody I know. My schedule allows for the greater time I spend in my shop and the only TV I watch these days is when a DVD is in the DVD player!;)

Gotcha brother :bow: I work a lot on head stamp sorting. Time and thousands of cases pass quite quickly while on the porch listening to sports on TV. I gather several thousand of my choice head stamps, I like WIN cases most. I then set my dies according to a specific head stamp I'm about to load and get after it, then make my next head stamp choice, reset dies and get after it again. I'm a huge proponent of squeezing every possibility of variance  from each step as humanly possible. Then it's up to me to poke holes where I want them to be :)

Cheers!