Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CBC Brass

IGOTGLOCKED

I have been sorting head stamps which has helped reduce OAL variance. I had previously loaded Speer, Winchester, and Blazer which all loaded great however I chose to load some CBC brass yesterday as I had quite a bit of it and found it to be difficult to tweak my dies to it. It stuck to the station 3 on my 650, which is the belling and powder drop and the other brass never did. And it was lubed as I do all my brass.

Anyone else ever have any issues with CBC brass..?

Thanks,

IGG

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cull out cbc pierce and Aguilla,.  But not for oal reasons.    These headstamps would get big "hips" and fail case gauge or ftf. 

Not sure how brass affects coal.

ogive is better measurement than oal.    But that's a different topic.

curious how much was you oal off?  And how much did it change  accuracy?

CBC has been giving me fits too, sticking the the powder funnel and primers a bit more difficult to seat. Next time I sort, it's going in the crap bin as well.

Edited by SCTaylor

2 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

I have been sorting head stamps which has helped reduce OAL variance. I had previously loaded Speer, Winchester, and Blazer which all loaded great however I chose to load some CBC brass yesterday as I had quite a bit of it and found it to be difficult to tweak my dies to it. It stuck to the station 3 on my 650, which is the belling and powder drop and the other brass never did. And it was lubed as I do all my brass.

Anyone else ever have any issues with CBC brass..?

Thanks,

IGG

Tweak your dies to it? Typically the only die I ever adjust is seating when I change head stamps.

On 3/13/2017 at 2:21 PM, JRM83 said:

If I remember correctly the big problem with CBC brass is the case walls are thicker than most 9 brass.

This.  

Primer pockets are definitely tight, also.  I hated it for 9 minor when I was using plated bullets.  I like it a lot for 9major.  

Edited by d_striker

On 3/13/2017 at 3:21 PM, JRM83 said:

If I remember correctly the big problem with CBC brass is the case walls are thicker than most 9 brass.

Yeah, I've had problems with it when seating bullets deeply for pistols with short/tight chambers.  MG 124 gr JHP @ 1.075" OAL, for example, results in a lot of cases with bulges at the base of the bullet with CBC brass.  I've got a somewhat significant pile of CBC brass at this point, so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to find a bullet I won't have to seat as deeply so I can use the CBC brass up.

1 hour ago, 57K said:

^^^ In the post above I mentioned looking out for Blazer. Just came in from handloading 9 x 19. I made an uncharacteristic mistake because a Blazer case got by me a few rounds before I looked down at the ammo tray and saw it staring back at me . .  as a loaded round!!! This thread immediately popped to mind so I made the best of it so that I could say there's proof to reinforce my concern. I took the round loaded in the Blazer case and pushed the nose pf the bullet into my bench top which is wood. My dies are pretty much set up for WIN brass with most other quality brass being close enough. OACL was set for 1.122"/28.5mm with taper crimp at .376" and this round was loaded accordingly. It was already a tad short at 1.121" but when I pressed the nose into the bench it shortened to 1.115". Something you definitely don't want happening in the feed cycle of a pistol!

Plus, my loads are made to not set back even .001" with the same test. I also managed to load some PPU brass and it's a bit thick but not terribly so but it did make OACL lengthen to 1.125". I'd rather that didn't happen but I can live with it. It's the thin stuff that will get you into the most trouble, safety wise.

Udie properly adjusted fixes the case wall fluctuation. I load just about every known acceptable brand and the Udie just works wonders.

Good to know about CBC's 9mm Luger brass. However, I have not experienced any problem with their .45 ACP brass. I know that the CBC Group encompasses CBC, Magtech, MEN, and Sellier & Bellot. The later, S&B, is some of the best factory brass--in my opinion. 

16 hours ago, 57K said:

Properly adjusted? Please explain what you think you understand. "Properly adjusted" for thin walled cases and all of those of correct thickness, or closer to the norm wlll get U-ndersized to the same OD which means  they'll measure even smaller in ID. For those not familiar with these terms, OD = Outside diameter and ID = Inside diameter. That takes you right back to the problem of OACL variations because of thicker than normal case-wall thickness. Plus, whatever you set for taper crimp for the norm, you'll get more for nominally correct cases that have been resized with a U-Die because the expander die sets the case's ID for the bullet dia. with no regard for the OD of the case-mouth dia..

If you're only loading the the thin cases separately and then changing the adjustment for those that are within spec, go for it, but if you're not re-adjusting for cases that don't need to be undersized then you're like the guy who bought a ticket to Ringling Bros, Barnum and Baily Circus after P.T. Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute!"

Edited by Sarge

I don't know what the point of messing with dies to deal with different headstamp 9mm brass is. If you're already taking the time to sort the headstamps just toss the garbage brass like CBC in a bag and load the good stuff. 9mm is cheap and available to the point it's not worth going out of your way to use a few extra pieces of brass.

Speaking of a sucker born every minute, I have a gallon ziploc bag filled to bursting with a bunch of shiny CBC, FM, IMT, Ammoload, and MaxxTECH brass for a low, low price...

On 3/15/2017 at 2:09 PM, 57K said:

Bingo! It goes into the recycle bin in my reloading shop!

Since the question was asked, bullets don't seat as easily in thick brass which will result in longer OACLs. Even with nickel plated cases which also tend to be a bit thicker, if you don't adjust for OACL, your loads will be a tad longer than identical loads in brass cases.

IGG, keep an eye on the Blazer brass. They tend to be some of the thinnest out there, IME. No need to discard them because they can be used with oversized cast, coated or plated where the extra bullet diameter makes them a better fit. Same as I do in .45 ACP with REM brass. Other headstamps from SPEER like CCI are fine. Since Blazer is their budget line of ammo, they're spending less for case production.

Yes, have had great results with Blazer (9mm) .356 coated. Win loaded good, really like Speer! I know sorting head stamps are a pita however it's worth it in the long run...

IGG

On 3/13/2017 at 1:48 PM, biglou13 said:

I cull out cbc pierce and Aguilla,.  But not for oal reasons.    These headstamps would get big "hips" and fail case gauge or ftf. 

Not sure how brass affects coal.

ogive is better measurement than oal.    But that's a different topic.

curious how much was you oal off?  And how much did it change  accuracy?

Oal was ok at .005/6 on either side of where I wanted to be however now am at .002/3 on either side. I believe more accurate but haven't bench shot or chrono'd yet to see if any diff. And the press rums smoother too.

IGG