Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-sizing die under-sizing brass?

I've been reloading .40 on a 650 for years using Dillon Dies, and I finally got it set up to shoot 9mm.  I threw Dillon dies in there so my setup is the same.  I have loaded about 700 rounds of 9mm so far (it fires fine), but I noticed that the resizing die looks to be overcrimping almost.  The case becomes straight narrow for the top 2/3 and bulges out at the bottom.  Once the case neck is flared, the bullet seated and crimped, the top 1/3 has bulged out again to accommodate the bullet, so the new round is essentially hourglass shaped.  The difference in diameter between the middle of the case where it's narrowest and the top and bottom of the case is about .009.  I read that .005 is to be expected, but with this at .009, it is very obvious at first glance that the case is not completely straight-walled like a new factory round.  I have fired this ammo with relatively few issues, and I think the few issues aren't necessarily related to the case being warped (I've had a few that don't case-gauge and will therefore jam the gun). 

The de-priming and resizing die is set up just like the instructions dictate from Dillon.

Anybody have any ideas?  I will try to post a picture later today.

The Dillon dies flare out at the bottom, vs minimal radius at the bottom where it meets the shell plate. Doesn't require the case to be perfectly aligned to enter the die, and is great for speed. Only way to correct this if it bothers you is to change brand of sizing die. I wouldn't trade the spring loaded decaping pin in 9mm for anything, as there are so many with 2 flash holes out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 x 19mm is not a straightwalled case, it is a tapered case. When resizing, the neck is sized straight to ensure enough case neck tension to hold the bullet in place. Below that, the case tapers outward. When loaded, it looks like a coke bottle.

1 hour ago, dillon said:

9 x 19mm is not a straightwalled case, it is a tapered case. When resizing, the neck is sized straight to ensure enough case neck tension to hold the bullet in place. Below that, the case tapers outward. When loaded, it looks like a coke bottle.

AND is normal. Load them up and shoot them

OP- I had the same question.  You can read my experience here

Although everyone said it was perfectly normal (and functioned fine in my gun) I wanted my reloads to 'look' more like factory ammo.  So I replaced the Dillon sizing die (sorry Dillon folks, no malice intended) with a Lee one and went happily on my way.