Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy vs speed, am I on the right track?

leam

On 4/8/2017 at 8:32 PM, leam said:

Mike, because if this I specifically made time to walk through each stage and come up with a shooting plan that played to my strengths and challenges. What I don't yet have is a good way to make sure I stick to the really good plan I create. 2 FTEs because I failed to track the stage and two or three targets with extra holes 'cause I couldn't remember if I had hit them yet or not.

If you want to stick to the plan you've made you just need to visualize it. The more complex it is the more important it is. Show up early, and come up with a plan for every stage. Start going through them in your head. When you get to the stage, go through everything as many times and you can during your 5 min. walk through. Then go back to going through it in your head, over, and over, and over etc. When you're in the hole it's time to stop BS'ing with everyone else and really focus. When you're on deck walk the stage a couple more times while the squad resets. When you make ready go through it in your head again. You see the trend?

Can you go through a stage in your head with your eye's closed? Can you close your eyes right now and go through every stage in your mind from the last match you shot? If not your probably didn't memorize your plan. That's how you get FTE's. If you want to shoot a 32 round field course in 20 seconds, there isn't time to think about what to do, you just need to do it.

If it's some crazy memory stage, just do the best you can. I hate these stages, occasionally you'll see them at a major match and the only way you'll do well on it is if you show up the day before and walk the stage. They're not really fair to the guy who just shows up the day he has to shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been to a match yet, so this may be a stupid question, but are you allowed to make a quick sketch of each stage while you are walking it?  I'm not talking about taking your time and making it perfect to scale or anything, but just a quick sketch as you are walking through examining it?

Reason I say that is, if you are allowed to do that and you can make a quick sketch on a notepad, it may help you to "visualize" it better.  I am the type that when I write something down, it helps me to memorize it better than just necessarily viewing it or reading about it.  So, in other words, doing it helps me better than just hearing about it.  So, to me, if you could sketch it, and then keep looking over the sketch of each stage to help you memorize what you are going to do because you will remember what is where it may help your stage planning go much more smoothly.

Again, I don't know if this is allowed or not, but it just had me thinking that if this is possible, it may even be something I would like to do for myself. :) 

Also, one of the trickier things is when half the targets can be viewed from two or three places - but not the same two or three - and the other half are visible at one position only.

This invites you mix things up: To shoot target A twice, and leave target B totally unengaged.

Step 1 is knowing how many paper targets are in the stage. Circling around behind the stage is often helpful here.

Step 2 is ... knowing what to shoot from where. Make sure you have "airgunned" the correct number of shots, and look for ways to identify each target so that you know you have accounted for every target. Color of it's target stand, a particular plaster placement on it, or the way one of the sticks is warped... those things help.

Only after that's complete do you even begin to think about reloads. And this is coming from a Production shooter. Once you know where ad I need what order, it becomes obvious where you need to change mags.

Nothing makes me shake my head more than watching a guy on his first walkthrough trying to decide to load before or after target #4 when he hasn't even seen the middle portion of the stage yet.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

18 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

No rules against it, iff you have the time.

I would think you'd be better off spending the time you'd be drawing, going over

the COF again and again ....   :) 

Depends on how fast I can draw.  LOL! :P But then again, you are correct.  Maybe it would be quicker for me to take pictures with my phone and then visualize off that and go over it in my head.  I'm just trying to think outside the box for advantages that could help me and the OP. :)  But you are correct...visualization/memorization is most likely the best with the time you have.

20 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That is very much allowed, yes. 

Personally I do that mentally. Sketch it in my mind as if viewed from directly overhead.

Exactly...that's why I figured if I can take a quick sketch (or maybe even a picture and then sketch it after) it would help me because then I could do as you mentioned...visualize it from overhead on what is where and where I need to be.

32 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Also, one of the trickier things is when half the targets can be viewed from two or three places - but not the same two or three - and the other half are visible at one position only.

This invites you mix things up: To shoot target A twice, and leave target B totally unengaged.

Step 1 is knowing how many paper targets are in the stage. Circling around behind the stage is often helpful here.

Step 2 is ... knowing what to shoot from where. Make sure you have "airgunned" the correct number of shots, and look for ways to identify each target so that you know you have accounted for every target. Color of it's target stand, a particular plaster placement on it, or the way one of the sticks is warped... those things help.

Only after that's complete do you even begin to think about reloads. And this is coming from a Production shooter. Once you know where ad I need what order, it becomes obvious where you need to change mags.

Nothing makes me shake my head more than watching a guy on his first walkthrough trying to decide to load before or after target #4 when he hasn't even seen the middle portion of the stage yet.

MM, that makes a bunch of sense.  How can you decide where to reload when you don't know what you need to shoot yet?  So, what you say makes perfect sense.  Find out what you need to shoot and where and then you can decide when you need to reload and when it makes sense for you to do so.

3 minutes ago, R1_Demon said:

MM, that makes a bunch of sense.  How can you decide where to reload when you don't know what you need to shoot yet?  So, what you say makes perfect sense.  Find out what you need to shoot and where and then you can decide when you need to reload and when it makes sense for you to do so.

In Production (and SS), generally, if you are moving from one shooting position to another, you should be reloading...Maybe not every time, but it seems to follow that pattern. There are, of course, exceptions.