Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4 one piece recoil rod

IATURNKEY

I have a Model 40 that I am installing a .40 S&W conversion barrel in and will need a lighter recoil spring. I was looking for a 1 piece recoil rod and the only one that I can find is a Jager. Does anyone else make a one piece Gen 4 recoil rod?

No, just the front.

Actually I'm not certain how well this combo would work on a 40.  Not exactly the same situation, but I was previously trying to use a 24 Gen 3 upper on a Gen 4 lower.  The back end of the Gen 3 guide rod is smaller than the Gen 4 guide rod so it can move around against the back wall it sits on in the frame.  I had a situation where this allowed the guide rod to tilt up and then the front of the guide rod hit the inside of the slide right above the opening in the slide for the guide rod to pass through. 

This might not be an issue on the 40 though since it has the much larger Gen 4 opening at the front of the slide.  I was just thinking since it's also a 6" barrel if you used a 21 length Gen 3 guide rod it's possible you could have this happen too.  But probably not...

So it's probably best to just go with the Jager one if they make an actual Gen 4 guide rod designed for the 40; they make good guide rods.

• 1 month later...