Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ at local and I'm not 100% sure why

Thaunk

I'm not sure why this is so common. I personally now pay special attention to new shooters when we have a table start, and I reiterate what they get in the new-shooter briefing, which is that even if the scorekeeper calls their name and says  'ok your turn', they still don't touch the gun until 'make ready'.

1 minute ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Another of those fuzzy things.

My personal preference is for folks to shut up when a shooter is preparing to start, but some squads seem to have fun with the chatter and you don't want to poop on their parade. I'm not certain what the right approach is. 

I agree. I'm too new to understand some of the social nuances of this sport but to me Its like talking during a golf.  Its fine to chat, but then your guy tees up, you hush

You know, I've had far more RO/SOs get snappy with guys talking than the actual shooters.  When I'm about to shoot I can hear the noise but it doesn't bother me, I don't even bother turning my electronic muffs off.

Edited by Alaskan454

9 minutes ago, Alaskan454 said:

I  hear the noise but it doesn't bother me

Yeah, after firing a few rounds of .454, I'd be willing to bet that noise doesn't bother you.    :D

I was "lucky enough" to fire five rounds of .460 S&W Magnum, full rounds inside ...

People talking didn't bother me for a few days ....  

2 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Yeah, after firing a few rounds of .454, I'd be willing to bet that noise doesn't bother you.    :D

I was "lucky enough" to fire five rounds of .460 S&W Magnum, full rounds inside ...

People talking didn't bother me for a few days ....  

Yeah...I stopped shooting magnum calibers at our indoor range.  Even the rifle shooters didn't like .44/.45/.475 handguns in the next bay.  In their defense, it's very loud.

48 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'm 72 years old, and Very Hard of Hearing (What did you say, Sonny?),

so I pop my right ear muff off while waiting for the range commands.

If I have any question about what the young whipper snapper said,

I question him (didja say "Make Ready"?)

Just part of my getting ready to shoot that I incorporated years ago.    :) 

Me, too.  I kinda like to stick with the generic response - "Huh?".  It's easier to remember. 

I swapped out my over the ear noise cancelling headphones for some in-ear noise cancelling ear buds because the muff moved while I was running a course of fire with my AR.  Turns out those are loud.

1 minute ago, Alaskan454 said:

Yeah...I stopped shooting magnum calibers at our indoor range.  Even the rifle shooters didn't like .44/.45/.475 handguns in the next bay.  In their defense, it's very loud.

Then they're going to hate the Open guns. 

Well, shoot, guns are loud, by nature.  Gotta practice somewhere. 

49 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'm 72 years old, and Very Hard of Hearing (What did you say, Sonny?),

so I pop my right ear muff off while waiting for the range commands.

If I have any question about what the young whipper snapper said,

I question him (didja say "Make Ready"?)

Just part of my getting ready to shoot that I incorporated years ago.    :) 

Not old enough to pull off "sonny" yet unless you still watch the Smurfs on TV or Dora the Explorer.  However, I am looking forward to being the angry well armed grand-pa at events in another 40 years or so.

4 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Everybody hates open guns.

I think it is like one of those kids fashions where they just do it because. 

No, it's just the desire to try something new and shiny - then you discover that it's a whole lot of fun - then you buy more mags and stuff - then you're down the rabbit hole, and you never want to go back. 

It's also really great for older eyes. 

1 minute ago, teros135 said:

It's also really great for older eyes. 

Now that they have changed the mag capacity limits I'm actually thinking about trying welfare open.

Just concerned that I once I give up the iron sights I may not want to come back. 

A few years ago we had an RO that, if distracted after giving the "make ready" command, would forget that he gave it.   Happened twice in one match.  Fortunately others standing nearby had better short term memory and would correct him.

Only reason I remember is he started to DQ me until someone stepped in,

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Now that they have changed the mag capacity limits I'm actually thinking about trying welfare open.

Just concerned that I once I give up the iron sights I may not want to come back. 

It's the red pill, Gas.  Take the blue pill.  Trust me on this ;)

9 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

... Also as an RO, if you say "hold on, don't make ready" you just said "make ready". 

Excellent point.  In aircraft communications to towers, controllers are never allowed to utter the word "takeoff" unless it is to give permission to actually takeoff.  Many people are dead from some of the most severe aviation accidents because pilots heard the word "takeoff" and not the preceding: "No, you do not have clearance to..."

I was a freshly minted RO working a stage as the scorekeeper with another fresh RO and he said, "All righty then" to a shooter who had just stepped in the box.  Shooter pulled the gun and RO stopped him.  This was a L2 match and we were given instructions to call the RM if we thought a DQ was warranted.   RM showed up, asked what happened, we told him what happened and what was said.  No DQ and we both learned a lesson about saying anything except range commands.

14 hours ago, Thaunk said:

Nope hit the nail head.  That's exactly what I was looking for and couldn't find.

I shot another match the next day and I was certainly more cognizant of range commands.  I'm hoping this weekend got all of my stupid out so I shoot the whole sc state march at the end of the month.

The one bright side I have to the day is I'm prophetic.  I told a lady she couldn't possibly be last because I was there.  And I was right!

thought of you tonight.

Walked in to the local club match and the first thing I see is the seated, gun-on-the-table start...

I paid an extraordinary amount of attention to range commands. :)

11 hours ago, JeremiahD said:

thought of you tonight.

Walked in to the local club match and the first thing I see is the seated, gun-on-the-table start...

I paid an extraordinary amount of attention to range commands. :)

Glad I could be of service!

Another to look out for on table/barrel starts is when that buzzer goes off, don't be in too much of hurry to grab that gun...it's a sickening feeling to watch it slide across the table/barrel and onto the ground...didn't happen to me, but I've seen it happen.