Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorter Spitfire spacer block

I recently purchased a Spitfire and have noticed that the optic sits higher than usual. I find myself having to adjust my cheekweld when mounting the rifle. I did some investigating and I discovered that a true co-witness is ~1.400" from the top of the rail to the dot. My AMD Recon mounts place the center of the reticle at 1.480" and hasn't seemed to cause me any issues. But the Spitfire places the dot at an even higher 1.585". I've sketched up drawing and plan to make a spacer to replace the Vortex spacer that will place the dot at around 1.450".  Technically, this height won't be a true co-witness but will be closer. I suppose I could make the spacer to 1.400" dot height but I chose the 1.450 to be in between true co-witness and the height I use on my optics rifle.  

If there is enough interest, I plan to have a batch of these made up for folks. They will be made from 6061 Aluminum, black anodized and come with the correct length of screws.

Edited by Ryan N
9 hours ago, six-gun shooter said:

I would definitely be interested. I dislike the high height Vortex uses for so many of its sights. I would prefer the 1.4" to the 1.45" height though. 

I'll let you know when I make the first one. I'm in the middle of a friend's sight tracker build now, so it may be a week or so before I even get started on this.  

Interesting..... My son has the Spitfire on his CZ Scorpion 16" carbine, sighted in just fine..... I liked the "etched reticule idea" as a lot of red dots just aren't real visible in the Arizona sun or the "dot" dies in the middle of a match plus I have astigmatism and get the "starry" dot, so I bought one for my CZ.... I can't get enough adjustment on the vertical for sighting in..... Either I got a "dud" or ????.... Seemed to me at the time that if the height was lower, It could have been sighted in...... Back to my "Sightmarks" which are bright enough here in AZ and only $60/$70 each...can't beat the "circle/dot" on the Sightmarks.....Just don't buy the early model that takes the 3 little batteries (PIA to change) BUT works well.

39 minutes ago, mike NM said:

so I bought one for my CZ.... I can't get enough adjustment on the vertical for sighting in..... Either I got a "dud" or ????.... Seemed to me at the time that if the height was lower, It could have been sighted in...

If you run out of adjustment then IMO the optic isn't mounted on the same plan (not parallel) with the mount or the optic is defective.  I'd check with Vortex on it.  Simply raising or lower the optic height won't help you.  I hope this helps Mike.

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 5:22 AM, iamspartacus said:

I'dbe interested in the spacer.

I made two of them on the first go around.  They are a anodizer.  I'll check with six gun shooter and see if he still wants one.