Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brake cleaner to remove Titegroup crud?

obsessiveshooter

I believe it was brake cleaner that removed the red painted on 'safety' dots on all my CZ frames.

Yep did that to mine as well [emoji20] well it was breakfree powder blaster, same stuff acetone and toluene.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

this thread reminds me that I probably will  need to clean my gun at some point in the near future. It's been 4K rds since I clean it last time... 

Edited by cheby

I don't understand the use of harsh chemicals to clean guns. They are hard coated/painted finishes ... remove painted areas like the red dot on the safety. Some evaporate so quickly they don't do much of any good except remove oil residue and some leave a residue of their own. I use mineral sprits. It soaks into powder crud and loosens it to the point it just wipes away and does not hurt any finish. It's cheap... I would use it regardless of price... 

• 3 weeks later...

I use Titegroup in almost all my pistol loads and don't find it that dirty. IME, it's the firearm lubrication that one uses that is the true culprit when it comes to collecting crub in your gun. That being said, I almost exclusively utilize Balistol to clean all my firearms and then apply Weapon Shield as the lubricant. I've found the more you use Weapon Shield, the easier it is to clean your firearm as the crud literly just wipes off. Weapon Shirld also has the added benifit of almost "rejecting" the buildup of crap in your gun. Great stuff it is...