Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prima SV Results with 45 ACP 255 gr. Bayou

eggman

I've decided to finally classify in Revolver Class in one of the local IDPA classifiers that are usually held early in the season. So, I've been trying to work up a soft accurate 45 acp load above the 155 PF for my S&W 626 PC . I have not previously loaded Prima SV in 45 acp but went with what I knew from loading 9mm . Usually with Prima V in 9mm I can use Titegroup data and get almost the exact velocity and for Prima SV I usually back off 2 tenths of a grain of a good Prima V load. I haven't been able to find any Prima SV data for 45 acp so I took what I knew from loading it in 9mm and started with 3.6 grs Prima SV , Bayou 255 gr. RN seated at 1.252" OAL in Starline brass with a Federal 150 primer . Fired brass showed no signs of pressure . Chrono results at 38 degrees F :

1st string 6 shots HI 681 fps LO 643 fps 665 fps AVG 38 fps ES 38 fps  3 1/2 " group at 20 yds hands rested on sandbags

2nd string 6 shots HI 683 fps LO 647 fps AVG 671 fps 36 fps ES 36 fps  3" group at 20 yds

I am well above the 155 PF at 170 PF (avg)  but the load felt really good but I was a little disappointed with the ES numbers and accuracy wasn't the best but at least I have a good starting point and need to really shoot a few hundred at different distances to see how I like it.

I would be interested in anyone else's results with Prima SV in 45 acp .

Edited by eggman

• 7 months later...