Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag pouch direction

I have noticed that I have a hurdle to overcome with PCC concerning mag pouch direction.  I've always placed my pistol mag pouches bullets facing forward and I place my rifle mags bullets facing rearward.  I've been shooting 3-gun regularly for 8 years and I'm new to PCC.  I have quickly discovered that when I do a PCC reload, I'm grab the PCC mag the same way I would grab a rifle mag(makes since sense I have a rifle in my hand).  Well grabbing the mag this way has me inserting the mag backwards into the magwell.  I have worked at trying to grab the PCC reload mag like I would a pistol mag but it has been a challenge.

I only see 2 options:

1.  Retrain how I do a rifle reload and begin learning to do bullets forward like I do pistol mags

2.  Get some LH pistol mag pouches for PCC.  This seems to be the easiest fix.

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?  I can't be the only person having this issue.

I think just reload the PCC like you do your pistol. Grab mag by base and turn over to insert using index finger to point into magwell.

Dont make it any more complicated than it has to be.

I also place the bullets forward for pistol magazines and bullets to the rear with rifle magazines.  The rifle pouches are behind my hip bone where the pistol pouches are further forward.

For PCC I've had the best success loading just like I do with my pistol.  In fact, I use the pistol pouches (Safariland) from my Open belt.  I just remove the holster and I'm good to go.

Should it matter, I'm using a Glock magazine PCC.

Edited by Flatland Shooter
31 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I lay the first mag flat with bullets out. The second mag is vertical with the bullets back. This is the fastest setup for me and works well with Colt or Glock mags. Thanks, Eric

I'm having trouble picturing what you describe...

Have a pic?

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an observation I made that helped me:

Instead of a full-sized magazine on my belt, I use the shortest mags available for my gun. For my Scorpion, it's a 20-round mag. It's nice and short (only 5 1/2"), making it easy to manipulate exactly like a pistol reload, with the index finger pointing the way into the magwell.  

My main PCC is a Bazooka Brothers AR45 that uses Grease Gun mags, which if anyone has seen them are 2 feet long and weigh 11 pounds each.  Ok, that might be an exaggeration, but you try to keep your pants up with 90 rounds of 230 ball on your belt...lol.

My point is that reloading is kind of like grabbing a 2x4 from the belt, and in my case, I have determined that bullets out is fastest for me.  The other problem I have is that since the mags are so long the draw stroke is doubly awkward, and my solution for the 9mm gun at least was to mount the magpouch on a DOH attachment.  I am still working on something for the 45 mags, they are just so darn heavy that nothing is both secure (non flappity) and easy to draw from.  Part of the problem is that PCC mags are normally pretty long, so if you grab them at the end they are awkward, and if you grab them in the middle, then you are back to fumbling with your grip.

2 hours ago, MrRick said:

For PCC, can the magazine be on a magnetic "pouch"? I'm having a hard time reaching the magazine being to high. 

Hello: Angle your mag pouch and you will be able to reach it better. You can use a magnet but from what I have seen sometimes you leave the mag behind. Thanks, Eric

Yes, magnetic pouches are allowed, but like Eric says, you should be careful that it will hold a full mag securely during vigorous movement.  Personally, I have over 40lbs worth of rare earth magnets to hold the greasegun mags, and I have still dropped one.  I have mounted my 9mm pcc pouches on a DOH mount to get them lower, but I am still using a modified pepper spray pouch to hold the GG mags...

I'm using a Red Hill Tactical pouch. I had it at an angle and I didn't feel like it would stay in place with all the weight. I'm thinking trying it with a 20rnd magazine and see how it feels. This is for an MPX. 

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: If you start with a big stick and have two 20-24 round mags on your belt you should be good for any USPSA pistol match. Thanks, Eric

Yup, exactly. Not sure why have a big, full-sized mag on your belt, when you already have 40+ in the gun at the start. Go with a small/short 20-round mag on the belt. 

The most useless thing in the world is all of the mags and ammo you left back in your bag because you did not need them.  Things break, jams happen, mags get dropped or bumped or just plain stop working correctly.  The extra time and effort spent on carrying extra mags and ammo is well worth it when you can recover from a problem.