Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC PF vs Pistol PF

Has anyone measured and compared the MV and PF between their minor pistol load and the same load in their PCC? I'd be curious to know the load, PF in both pistol and PCC (including barrel length).

Thanks!

Hello: Depending on the pistol and PCC barrel lengths etc. it is between 10-20PF difference. So if your pistol is 130PF your PCC will be about 148PF. That is what the difference is on my pistol loads and my 16" PCC. I have separate loads for each. Thanks, Eric

My experience mirror's Eric's exactly.  For my minor 9mm loads through a 5.25-inch XDM, I use

124 Montana Gold CMJ

4.8 grains CFE Pistol

1.154 OAL

Winchester small pistol primer

= 1050 fps = 130.2 PF

In my 16-inch PSA AR-9 this load produced a velocity of 1193 fps and a 147.9 PF!

I've reduced the OAL to 1.10 and the powder load to 4.3 grains of CFE pistol to drop the PCC velocity to 1085 fps producing a 135.4.PF.  I may drop the load another 0.2 grains and see what that does.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, bjburton said:

I had more extreme results with my pistol load using CFE Pistol. My 147's were pushing 133PF out of the pistol but out of the rifle it was pushing 167PF. This is coming from a G17 to a 16" rifle.

That's by far the largest jump ive ever heard of

It would seem to me it would be less complicated to use the pistol load in both.  That way you would only need to load one for both.  I doubt if the average jump in the PF would make the PCC much harder, if any, to shoot well with.

On March 18, 2017 at 0:00 PM, Flatland Shooter said:

In my case, by dropping from PF 147 (pistol loads) to PF 132 (dedicated PCC loads) I could tell a good difference.  Enough to make it worthwhile to set up a second toolhead.

I'm still running a birdcage so if I ever pony up for a comp, I may need to revisit.

Bill

Are you just talking dot movement or actually feeling the difference in recoil.  If that makes sense....

21 minutes ago, cnote said:

Are you just talking dot movement or actually feeling the difference in recoil.  If that makes sense....

Both.  I still have some dot movement but not nearly as much with the reduced power loads.  And recoil decrease to .22 LR levels.  With hotter loads my PCC had more recoil than my .223 match gun.

On 3/14/2017 at 1:49 PM, bjburton said:

I had more extreme results with my pistol load using CFE Pistol. My 147's were pushing 133PF out of the pistol but out of the rifle it was pushing 167PF. This is coming from a G17 to a 16" rifle.

What was your load with CFE? 

Yes, per USPSA Appendix D8 the minimum PF for PCC is 125 which is considered "minor.".  That is the same as for Production, Carry Optics and minor in Limited, L10 and SS.

There is no minimum PF for Steel Challenge.

Edited by XD Niner

Playing with some new powder and bullets today:

Blue Bullets 147gr and CFE Pistol 3.7gr.

Came out at:

137 Power Factor out of a CZ 75B SP01 (AVG 934 and SD of 9)

160 Power Factor out of my 16" PCC (AVG 1088 and SD of 18)

Going to try and drop another 7 Power factor to see if it make a change, recoil was terrible.