Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22LR uppers for AR-15

Steve RA

I had a spare stripped upper on the bench so built my own.  

I already had a CMMG 22LR AR Conversion kit , charging handle and handguard.  All I needed was a Taccom 22LR barrel and standard barrel nut.  Taccom includes the matching barrel collar with each barrel.

If practicing for PCC I have a Slideride on it.  Otherwise it sports a Burris XTR 1-4x.

Bill

Built my son a dedicated 22 using taccom parts (barrel, bolt, pressure plug). They work well and are reasonably priced. You can most likely build an upper for less than an off the self cmmg etc. Put together a basic lower for it and the only issue I ran into was it needed to use a JP reduced power hammer spring as it would occasionally double using a milspec hammer spring. You can shim S&W mags to work with a standard lower. The S&W mags have worked much better than the black dog machine mags. Also the new S&W sport ar22 is a pretty good deal. Bang for the buck it would be hard to beat.

I have a CMMG .22 dedicated upper that has been fantastic. It has the stainless bolt carrier, standard was out of stock and I was shipped a SS one for no extra charge. Ordered from Hamlund Tactical. I use all Black Dog Machine mags and literally can't remember the last time I have had a malfunction. I have maybe cleaned it 2 or 3 times in the many thousands of rounds (remember Federal 555 bulk packs for $15) that have been through it. Put a Primary Arms T1 copy on it and shoot the crap out of it, no issues. Been shooting the Federal Auto Match .22's lately since they have been readily available and they have run 100%. 

10 hours ago, Steve RA said:

How do the Nordic .22 uppers compare to the JP .22 uppers accuracy wise ???

I have a Gen 1(.5?) Nordic upper and I've been able to get under 1/2"@50yds (5-shot groups) with iron sights.  Yes, it was a particularly good day with good ammo (either CCI Tactical or Standard, sorry forgot which).  But it's really accurate.  Not sure how the JP performs but it's at least $200 more than the Nordic.  Can't see it being that much better.

I have an old Spikes Tactical. I use Black Dog Machine mags and it has run great with Federal bulk pack. I also have a 50 round drum and it will cycle a quick as I can pull the trigger and as smooth as a sewing machine.

• 4 months later...
On 3/13/2017 at 7:24 AM, bagdrag said:

I have a Gen 1(.5?) Nordic upper and I've been able to get under 1/2"@50yds (5-shot groups) with iron sights.  Yes, it was a particularly good day with good ammo (either CCI Tactical or Standard, sorry forgot which).  But it's really accurate.  Not sure how the JP performs but it's at least $200 more than the Nordic.  Can't see it being that much better.

That's good info.