Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home made stands/ hanger caps?

LeviSS

Who has made their own Steel Challenge target stands and hanger caps?

I think I'm going to make the bases like I do my USPSA target stands, with 1.5" angle steel, but have one upright tube in the center for a 2x4.

I have a couple ideas for caps to hang the plates, but wanted to see how others did it.

Pics would be great.

Edited by LeviSS

• 1 month later...

Just got done building stands for my steel targets.  Taking steel to my welder next Wed to complete project.

Plates are made our of 1/2" AR4000  (Thanks to my b-in-law)

4 - 10"          11 lbs each

5 - 12"          16  lbs

4- 18"x 25"   61 lbs

With that combo I should be able to set up any stage. 

The stands are made from 2x6 pressure treated and will accept a center post ( 2x4) for steel or 2 side post for USPSA targets. 

The brackets are

2 x 4 x 0.188 x 4" long  Rectangular Steel Tube

2 x 1 x 0.125  x 5" long Channel

1/4 x 1.5  x 11" long      Flat steel

Cheers

Philip

IMG_5474.JPG

IMG_5475.JPG

IMG_5476.JPG

IMG_5478.JPG

I shot my first match last month, so I looked at their target stands.  They have probably 5" long 2x4" rectangle tubing with eye bolts drilled and welded in.  The cut off about half of the eye to make it a hook.  Then they had 1" tubing for the stand frame with another piece of 2x4" tubing for the upright 2x4 wood upright to fit in.

Yours are similar to mine, except my caps have a channel welded on one side to accept an upside down U welded to the plates. Slips into the "c" on the cap. (Flat piece bent into the shape of the U.) The top of the cap has a flat piece to set on the 2X4. Less steel per target/cap. Frames are steel tubing in the same shape as yours.

Once I get everything set up I will be practicing a lot before I compete, don't want to make a fool out of myself the first time I step to the firing line.  This is going to be fun.

Cheers

Philip

I make target stands out of pressure treated 2x4s.  Th spacers in the middle allow positioning a centered 2x4 for steel or two 1x2s for USPSA targets.  I buy caps, because they are only $10 each.  When the club budget permits, I but GT Targets steel bases.  Won't ever have enough.

My center post are all the same length except for 2 that need to get the top of the plates to 6' for Pendulum.  I was able to use the same length because of how I mounted the brackets on the back of the 10", 12" and the 18x24".  I sure hope the 18x24 won't be too top heavy, will know by the end of the week.

Philip

13 hours ago, zzt said:

I make target stands out of pressure treated 2x4s.  Th spacers in the middle allow positioning a centered 2x4 for steel or two 1x2s for USPSA targets.  I buy caps, because they are only $10 each.  When the club budget permits, I but GT Targets steel bases.  Won't ever have enough.

Where did you buy the caps?

Mine came to 10.33 for the cap parts before welding.  My welder is retired and I usually have to force him to take $$.  I'll post pics once the the welding is completed.

Cheers

Philip

• 2 weeks later...