Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Spotting Scope Questions

Robert King

I'm looking to order a new spotting scope in the next few days. I'll use it for seeing shots on paper, hits on steel (1,200 yards and less) and possibly for hunting. I'd like to be able to see shots on paper out to 300 yards for sure and a bit further would be a great bonus.

I'm looking at the Viper 20-60 and the Razor 16-48 or 20-60.

The most attractive is the 16-48 Razor, but I'm concerned about seeing hits on paper with the lower magnification. Anyone have experience with these spotters they came to share? Anyone tried to see shots on paper with a 48x?

Edited by Robert King

Just a few days ago I could see hits on paper (white cardboard with shoot n see stick ons) out to 400 yds in bright  sunlight at our backs with the 20-60 Razor, but that's about it for distance on paper. 200 yds is pretty easy on white cardboard.

Steel hits or misses out at 1100+ on a 1moa tgt were also observed fairly well at the same time, even thou mirage was kicking pretty hard.

For those distances i wouldn't mess with anything less than the 20-60 Razor.

imho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Rigger is correct, the glass quality of the Razor is excellent even compared to spotters twice the price.   There was some good deals on the older models for a while, since a new look came out last year, might look for one.

Being able to see holes in paper at distances beyond 200 atmospherics come into play big time, even a 5k Hensolt Spotter 60(best Spotter on the planet) cant see holes in paper beyond 200 in some conditions, the Razor line of spotters are great scopes, I have a 20-60x80 Straight Razor, 

+1 for the Razor. I use an angled 20-60 Razor for Fclass. Using a .308 and white paper, I can spot hits at 600 the majority of the time. .223 not quite as often, but still pretty good. It has to be bright white though.

• 7 months later...
On 3/11/2017 at 10:29 PM, Robert King said:

I'm looking to order a new spotting scope in the next few days. I'll use it for seeing shots on paper, hits on steel (1,200 yards and less) and possibly for hunting. I'd like to be able to see ...

10 hours ago, prwillard2 said:

I just got the 27-60 angled last week.  Took it out to the range this weekend, was pleased.  Was great for tracking steel. No major issues on paper at 100 meters as I worked my load development.

Any opinions on Bushnell Elite 20-60x 80mm or Pentex.  Would like to hear more about the 27x60.  Thanks.

9 minutes ago, prwillard2 said:

What info can I assist with on the vortex? Don't know anything about the other 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Once you test your spotting scope out to some greater distances and comment on how things look at different magnification.  I was reading on comment about the 20x60 not doing well above 40 magnification.  

Once you test your spotting scope out to some greater distances and comment on how things look at different magnification.  I was reading on comment about the 20x60 not doing well above 40 magnification.  
Did some testing with it already. No issues at max magnification. Could probably see 308 holes at 300 meters on a good day.

Was looking at some mountains more than a mile away and would have easily been able to identify deer size animals.

Guessing I'd be able to see rack size at well over 600/700 meters.

The 27-60 has an 85mm objective. I think the original 20-60's had a smaller objective.

Let me know anything else I can help with!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk