Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CK Arms .40 Commercial Ammo Testing

SCinTX

I started breaking in my new CK Arms Hardcore .40 S&W, using a variety of commercial ammo.  I thought the reliability I observed with the ammunition might be useful to others, so I'm sharing these data below.  One box per manufacturer was sampled.  Interestingly, where FTFs were observed, the first instance experienced within the first three rounds fired from that box.

From each box, I sampled the ammo OAL, expecting the longest to feed most reliably.  The results didn't support that assumption.  I sampled six rounds from each box of 50.  MBX 140MM magazines were used.

Brand: Average OAL, Median OAL, Std Dev OAL, Failure to Feed Experience:

LAX New 180g: 1.1201, 1.1190, 0.0038, None

PMC 180 fmg: 1.1244, 1.1235, 0.0027, Frequent

Fiocchi 170g fmjtc: 1.1266, 1.1265, 0.036, Frequent

Monarch brass case 180g tmj: 1.1201, 1.1185, 0.0034, None

Aquila 180g fmj: 1.1088, 1.1090, 0.0010, Frequent

Winchester Train 170g FMJ: 1.1244, 1.1238, 0.049, None

Remington UMC 180g fmj: 1.1268, 1.1255, 0.0038, None

Winchester White Box 180g: 1.1225, 1.1210, 0.0045, Constant

Magtech: this was ammo borrowed at the range; it wasn't measured, but no FTFs were observed over 10 rounds.

The good news is there are a variety of inexpensive sources which ran fine.  I look forward to more testing as break-in progresses.

Scott

Great info.  I ran some commercial Magtech with 1.125 OAL through our CK Thunder .40 S&W and was surprised to see it ran 100% without a single hiccup.  Thought the OAL would be way too short and would be a problem but was wrong. I'm loving the CK.

Edited by 3GDad

I ran more cheap Monarch and LAX ammo through the pistol today, and each ran flawlessly.  Also one more entry to add:

Sig Sauer 180gr FMJ: 1.1251, 1.1250, 0.0014; None

This ammo ran great, and was among the most consistent in OAL.

The pistol is broken in now (as are my forearms), and I'll try it at a USPSA match this Sunday.  Can't wait.

My CK runs Magtech, S&B, and HSM (reman) just fine as long as I use MBX mags.  I haven't tried any others.  My SV mags probably need tuned and new springs because they tend stovepipe the last round before it is shot.  Thus far, HSM has been the most accurate commercial in my CK (bench rested at 25 yards with 7 shot groups).

Edited by B585

Given that the majority of the ammo you tested was in the 1.12xx OAL range I would guess that the shape of the bullet tip would make more of a difference in feeding quality verses the minimal variance in OAL. 

For most 2011 platforms a longer OAL is usually required to ensure proper feeding. I use what most would consider "Short" 2011 .40 ammo at an OAL of 1.165. This length of ammo has been precisely tuned to function in my guns given their configuration. Most other 2011 setups require an OAL in the 1.180 - 1.200 range to feed reliably.

I wish you the best in trying to get SAAMI Spec OAL .40 ammo to run in your 2011, but you are fighting an uphill battle given that the gun and mags were not designed to function properly with that short of ammo.

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

Given that the majority of the ammo you tested was in the 1.12xx OAL range I would guess that the shape of the bullet tip would make more of a difference in feeding quality verses the minimal variance in OAL. 

For most 2011 platforms a longer OAL is usually required to ensure proper feeding. I use what most would consider "Short" 2011 .40 ammo at an OAL of 1.165. This length of ammo has been precisely tuned to function in my guns given their configuration. Most other 2011 setups require an OAL in the 1.180 - 1.200 range to feed reliably.

I wish you the best in trying to get SAAMI Spec OAL .40 ammo to run in your 2011, but you are fighting an uphill battle given that the gun and mags were not designed to function properly with that short of ammo.

I reload and don't have any issues with any of my mags at 1.18 to 1.185.  I can't verify why the MBX can even handle the factory loads, but since SV with TTI pads, springs, followers were purchased used and I haven't needed them to be perfect so I haven't replaced them or tuned them, I suspect that is the reason.  No doubt, reloads is where it is at, but in a pinch it is nice to know good ole factory ammo will work.

Edited by B585

You should add a chrono to your test.  It would be interesting to know if the rounds you are using have enough energy to cycle the slide for a brand new gun.  If the slide is not cycling properly due to weak loads, the next round may not be picked up.  My CK Open gun came very tight to the point that you could not pull the slide back with the hammer down.  I had many failure to feed during the break in process.  Now that it is broken in, it runs with no issues.

I did not have a chrono readily available to use so I don't have that data on factory loads.  Based on the felt recoil from factory loads I have shot, the recoil is more on factory Ammo 180 GN when comparing 180 GN with WST or 320 with enough powder to make major at 1.185/1.180 respectively.  My CK also feels tight even after a few thousand rounds.   I do love the accuracy of these guns.  When testing accuracy, I always bench test.  Using Zero bullets, at 29 yards according to the range finder in a 7 shot group, 5 were touching and the other 2 were .2" from the 5 touching.   I blame the shooter on the two that weren't touching. With HSM, seven shots at the same distance I had under 1.5".  Again, I bet with a better shot than myself, it would be smaller.

Quick update: I used the Magtech ammo in a club match yesterday, and it was a disaster.  Countless failures to feed.  Completely unlike my experience at the practice range.  I have some Highland Lakes ammo on order, with an OAL of 1.2", per the recommendation of CK Arms.  

To close out this thread, I asked Highland Lakes Ammo (https://www.hlammo.com) to make me some .40 ammunition with 1.120 OAL.  I ran ~230 rounds through it in prep for and at a club match, and it ran well.  One failure to feed, cause unknown.  You can see the round pointing higher up the ramp toward the barrel.  I suspect I can tune the mags to improve this further.  The bottom line is that factory ammo is going to be a challenge to run in this gun.  

As an aside, I was referred to Highland Lakes by a local 3 Gun pro.  They were more than happy to run a custom batch for me, and their bulk prices are essentially the same as cheap LAX Ammo.  It is going to be hard to justify investing in reloading with this service and price.  If you order, the spec is: .40 S&W, 180gr, 1.120” long, 6.7gr, RB.

Scott

Thanks for taking the time to do all this testing and sharing your findings. 

It was interesting to see some of the longer loaded factory had failures but a couple on the shorter side dis not. 

Any idea why the magtech did a complete 180 at a match vs the range?

5 hours ago, SCinTX said:

No!  And I wish I had a theory....

Were they from a bulk pack? Maybe a new box was a different batch? Or were they all from the same box? Just odd that they would perform at the range but not at a match.

3 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

Were they from a bulk pack? Maybe a new box was a different batch? Or were they all from the same box? Just odd that they would perform at the range but not at a match.

It could have been diffrent lots.  I'll check to see if I recorded that info.