Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Model 19 what are your thoughts?

rustybayonet

Good gun, about the top of what I would pay. I have gone to L and N frames except for .22, due to the fact that a lot of .357 cal. K frames split the barrel at the bottom of the forcing cone, just above the crane. I (used to) shoot a lot. If you're not using it heavily for competition, it will probably be OK.

Great gun, keep a pair on the night stand. As Toolguy stated, a lot of hot loads or high volume will split the barrel. Use it as intended, and it will last a lifetime. If it has the box, etc. and is in excellent condition 500 is not out of line.

"Dash numbers" on S&Ws indicate engineering changes.  You can look them up and see what was done at each step along the way.

I would avoid volume shooting of high velocity jacketed magnums, the 125 JHP that got such great reviews as an antipersonnel round is hard on the gun.

A friend shot some thousands of full power cast 158 gr semiwadcutter Magnums without cracking his barrel, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. 

Elmer Keith thought the Combat Magnum was rather lightly constructed and said he would shoot factory loads - then little but 158 gr Sharpe SWC's available - or his "heavy .38 load."

Shooting Minor or sub-minor (IDPA REV) in competition, the gun should hold up roughly forever.

I don't know its durability with Major loads, a 158 at 1050+ fps seems not too bad. 

My 19-2 2.5 inch (P&R) has a few hundred 158grn LRN at 800FPS (Minor power factor) and has not been an issue.  Practicing for ICORE, it is one of my backup guns.

With 98% blue and great mechanical condition, I paid $400 for it last year. Came with correct grip and a little tiny bit of rust.

Well worth it at $400, $500 seems high.

Surprised how accurate it is at 25 and 40y.  Amazing little gun.

The Model 19 was the S&W flagship during the golden era of revolvers, my very first handgun was a 19. Originally known as the .357 Combat Magnum before it was renamed the "19".  It was one of the models that was given extra detail to fit and finish. A model 19 is special as it was a gun that was designed as an easier carrying, faster drawing, and more nimble Law enforcement magnum revolver as compared to the hefty Model 27 that preceded it. It was derived from input from the Legendary Bill Jordan of the US Marines and Border Patrol. They are finely tuned and very accurate. I find the 19 with 38 specials to be every bit at accurate as the reputably "most accurate revolver made", the model 14. Its shortcomings is the frame is a bit too light to withstand a regular diet of .357 mags. Too many magnums in a 19 would split barrels at the forcing cone and deform cranes. To elaborate on that fact a .357 mag 158 gr loaded to, or close to max charge, will likely freeze the gun. But if you stick to 38's it will last forever. Honestly its a piece that really represents the phrase "they just dont make them like that anymore" It had counterbored cylinders, some of the best polished bluing smith has ever produced, pinned barrels, locater pins on the extractor to eliminate rotational play in timing, and had options for the since defunct wide target triggers & hammers (most common on 6" models). These little things cost extra to produce but made differences in fit and performance, all of which have since ceased in production to cut corners decades ago. Its a gun that you wont be sorry to own and shouldn't pass up. A 50 year old model 19 will make a Modern Performance Center revolver look like a 80's Taurus! In my opinion the 19-3 and 19-4 are the best runs. All the important design upgrades are done and it still retained the high quality standards. The 19-5 introduced in 1982 began the cutting corners to cheapen it up, eliminated the cylinder counterbore  and barrel pinning, more series would follow just further demising the gun.  

One thing to mention when you inspect 19's, check end play, thats a good indication of whether it was a primarily magnum fed or 38 special fed gun. You can always put end shake "yoke" bearings in it to restore it and will most likely still be accurate but the end shake will determine its worth and what you should pay. I wish you luck on getting it and at $500 its worth the coin as long as its not beat up and loose.