Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger, Benelli, Franchi, Breda Inertia Gun

P.E. Kelley

"LW Bolts because you guys think it is cool. "

Well...no Pat! There are 3 reasons why we do bolt lightening. The first one I did, back in 1998, was in a quest to decrees muzzle rise!, but soon learned that it did a couple other things. Now I will tell you right up front.....without a doubt it is the most miss-understood modification EVER!!! It was NEVER meant to allow running lighter loads. That never once entered my mind! 3 dram 1 1/8 load is, was, and always has been the holy grail for shotguns! I don't care how they run! Break open, gas , inertia, pump....it doesn't matter!   FEDERAL T116 Gold Medal!!!

1) It was done to reduce muzzle rise. I found that the rocking up and down on the Benelli was in part caused by that big old inertia bolt slamming back and forth in that nice light receiver. At least half the muzzle rise is caused by that B.O.I.B. (big old inertia bolt) Slamming to a stop on the back of the receiver which created a whole bunch of "secondary" muzzle rise. Less weight to stop = less muzzle flip!  YES!!! recoil felt a little sharper, but the gun stayed much flatter!

2) The bolt closed faster without running a stiffer action spring which would implead the bolt AFTER the inertia spring does it thing! In so doing you could and SHOULD run a standard Benelli action spring without slowing the rearward travel, and at the same time accelerate a lighter mass forward making it harder to "outrun" the action. In short it operates just a bit faster!

3) With a lighter mass closing and rotating the bolt into battery, the gun has less propensity of bouncing back out of battery upon closing....(partially the problem of the dreaded Benelli "click"), given the spring constant!

Is it necessary?? Hell no! Is it effective? Hell Yes! Think of it like Aluminum piston rods. In and of themselves not a huge advantage, but at the upper end of things it is worth a hundred extra R.P.M. and that might be the difference in winning! It is a racing part, but until you are at a fairly high level it won't do a thing for you!