Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

walking pins...

biglou13

the short time i was in the army  never saw a pin walk,  all my military friends, and leo that i know of that have shouldered an ar/m4  never saw a pin walk.

i have always thought anti walk pins were just a result of marketing, i even had some and sold them, i didn't believe they were necessary

until yesterday....

luckily i was single loading for load development

i loaded a round, released bolt click to semi  squeeze trigger ....  nothing

took lower off disconnector not holding hammer

switched lowers......

continued trouble shooting later found that trigger pin had walked  just a bit, just enough to cause error, this not on a drop in trigger, but tuned  mil spec.   pushed pin back in functions 100%

i just ordered 2 sets of anti walk pins....  i am now a believer

Likely the hammer spring leg was not located in the trigger pin groove. Some folks "tune" their milspec FCG by cutting off one of the hammer spring legs - you need to make sure the other (not-cut) leg sits on the end of the trigger pin with the groove in it.

With the above said, all my rifles have KNS pins. Not for the anti-walk feature, but because they are much less prone to breakage. I had a GI pin break some years back in a major match. Never gonna have that happen again for the want of a $20 KNS pin set.

Like Biglou, I never saw the need for anti-walk / anti-rotate pins.  And I've yet to have one walk on me.

But I'm reading where the additional stresses placed on the hammer pin in 9mm PCC (blowback) can in time cause the hammer pin hole to egg out.  For many, their guns may never be shot enough to cause damage.  But on a competition gun, a good set of pins may be cheap insurance.

I have a set of KNS pins on order.  In my case they may not be usable,  I run a Hiperfire Hypertouch 24C trigger.  Hiperfire advises that adding anti-walk / anti-rotate pins to the mix may cause the trigger to not perform as good as it can.  They do not indicate its a safety issue but they have seen cases where the trigger pull is adversely affected.  They recommend initial installation of their triggers with mil-spec pins first to see how the trigger feels.  Then install the anti-walk / anti-rotate pins and see if its affected.  

Several on the forum have indicated they have run Hiperfire triggers with KNS pins successfully.

Just a caution,

Bill

For the price its not a bad upgrade. It will definitely ease your mind, it takes a good amountof effort to shoot a stage without screwing up. Imagine splitting the focus between the stage and the gun breaking.

Almost any time someone has talked about a walking pin its because they messed with the springs or installed them wrong.  I have broken trigger pins in a 9mm AR.  None of my soldiers ever had their pins walk out.  I have antiwalk pins in guns only because those trigger designs mandate their use. 

On March 13, 2017 at 8:43 PM, dauntedfuture said:

Almost any time someone has talked about a walking pin its because they messed with the springs or installed them wrong.  I have broken trigger pins in a 9mm AR.  None of my soldiers ever had their pins walk out.  I have antiwalk pins in guns only because those trigger designs mandate their use. 

Agree. If the hammer spring legs are on top of the trigger pin, it should not walk out. But the hammer pin is only retained by the J spring in the hammer. KNS pins are anti-rotation to save wear on the receiver holes. A side benefit is the also prevent walk out. Some after market triggers, usually the cassette style, have pins with E clips or something similar because there isn't anything inside the trigger to prevent walk out. 

Just a follow-up to my earlier post.

Adding the KNS pins to my PCC with Hiperfire 24c resulted in a degraded trigger pull.  It went from a great trigger to a good trigger.  Instead of nice and crisp, its "slushy" and the trigger pull weight may have increased (at least it feels that way).

In hopes of it just needing a break-in, I ran just over 70 rds through it this afternoon,  No improvement.

The KNS pins are not defective and the Hiperfire folks cautioned about installing anti-walk/anti-rotate pins, so this falls strictly on me.

But now I'm seeking some information.  To anyone that has a Hipefire trigger and installed anti-rotate/anti-walk pins, did you notice any negative change in the trigger pull?  And did it improve over time?

Now to the high volume 9mm PCC shooters.  Has the hammer pin hole on your lower receiver egged out?  If so, how many rounds before it became a problem?

My gun with the pins installed continues to operate 100% but I need to decide if I'm willing to go with the degraded trigger pull or should I put the mil-spec pins back in and plan on replacing the lower receiver on down the road.

Suggestions would also be appreciated.

BIll

An update to my post from last night.

Mr. Tony Wall of Make Ready Pro Shop in OKC suggested I switch the position of the pins.  Put the KNS trigger pin in the hammer hole and the non-rotating hammer pin in the trigger hole.  Instead of torquing the screws to factory specs, I used a little Loctite to hold them on.

End result was the trigger is almost back to the "trigger feel" I had with the Mil-spec pins.  Its close enough that I'm happy with the results and will leave it as is for now.

Bill