Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much spare ammo to bring

Sandbagger123

do you like to worry?

i don't, so i typically shoot for 50% extra at a minimum. but i'm driving. wife and i will probably bring 1600 rounds.

200 sounds like a lot, but suppose you have to reshoot two out of 19 stages (not an unreasonable situation). now you're down to 130 or so spare rounds, or like 6-7 per stage. That would seem like cutting it close to me.

Double seems right.  Back in 2003, I shot a sectional on my way to Production Nats.  The sectional ~250 rounds from what I remember, the Nats required 311.  Add 16 chrono rounds and I was roughly at 575.  I packed 1200, and brought about half home -- but I'd rather have too many rounds, than to have to go scrounging or buying ammo....

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Double, to me, is ridiculous. Are you going to shoot the entire match twice? Sure, you will definitely have enough if you take double, but....do you need to?

I almost doubled on rounds once but I was shooting a level II on staff day. It seems the majority of the stages had to be reshot for one reason or another. There were plenty of shooters counting and recounting ammo the whole day and a few ran out.

So now I carry a whole ammo can of spare ammo to Majors.

23 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I almost doubled on rounds once but I was shooting a level II on staff day. It seems the majority of the stages had to be reshot for one reason or another. There were plenty of shooters counting and recounting ammo the whole day and a few ran out.

So now I carry a whole ammo can of spare ammo to Majors.

That is the price that staff pays...they get to work out the bugs before the general masses shoot the stages.

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

That is the price that staff pays...they get to work out the bugs before the general masses shoot the stages.

Very true. Also taught me to never shoot on staff day if you are NOT staff!

On 3/11/2017 at 7:55 AM, GrumpyOne said:

Double, to me, is ridiculous. Are you going to shoot the entire match twice? Sure, you will definitely have enough if you take double, but....do you need to?

I'd rather have and not need, than the reverse.  Then again, when I was doing this regularly, I drove to matches, including three trips to PASA and one to Tulsa.  And I may have carried ammo cans for friends who were flying in....

Whatever the Match round count is, plus 30% is my general rule of thumb. 

That being said. If I'm driving to the match and have the extra room i'll bring match count plus 50%. If there is a warm up bay to goof around on, or go to a local range to just experience it etc..

I guess my early Boy Scout days stuck with me. "Be prepared". I look at round count plus a few spares. Then double that plus 50%. A complete 1.5 reserve means no need to think about it until you're home and unloading. 

When I get ready for a 3 gun I look like I'm outfitting 10 guys for a bank job. Overkill I know but I like to err on the worry free safe side. If I ever fly to a match I'll panic then. 

19 minutes ago, Part_time_redneck said:

...When I get ready for a 3 gun I look like I'm outfitting 10 guys for a bank job. Overkill I know but I like to err on the worry free safe side. If I ever fly to a match I'll panic then. 

I was rolling on the floor at that one :lol: .  My shooting buddy and I have mused about what would happen if we were pulled over as we head to a major match - with maybe 6 or 7 handguns (2 each match plus carry guns), 18 or more hi-cap mags, those tactical-looking belt rigs, and 1200 or more rounds of ammo.  A real "arsenal", indeed! 

If you figure 20% stage failure rate (way high for properly run matches), that rounds up to 4 stage reshoots. Say Murphy makes sure that they are 32 round stages so you need 128 extra to cover that. Say you shoot 10% makeup shots. That will require ~50 more. We are now up 178. Add 15 for the team relay and we are at 193. Ken likes to have a live fire bay (or bays) for function fire and sighting in. At the 2014 nationals, I found my self shooting 20-50 rounds at the start of each day to warm up. Live practice on the first couple start positions of the day is nice. From my experiences there, I would bring at least 150 for live fire practice. 900 rounds should cover the event ;) Or, if you don't like to do math, double should be fine :lol:

I figure my minimum Rounds Taken = match minimum + 2 stage reshoots of 32 rnds each + 6 for chrono + 1 rnd lost at ULSC ever stage + 3 make up shots every stage.

So in this case 520 + 64 + 6 + 20 + 60 =670 rounds. So I'll bring 700 as I pack them in 100rnd boxes and call it good.

14 hours ago, rowdyb said:

+ 1 rnd lost at ULSC ever stage 

:o  you don't flip and catch? Guess I'll stop reading your posts. You're obviously not a professional. Probably don't even wear a professional shooter's blouse.

;)

I have two very lovely blouses Mink paid for. I should dry fire the flip and catch more tonight. Get it right for Optics Nats. I normally only flip and catch at idpa matches. :D

Edited by rowdyb