Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio ea9b carry gun trigger pull

1991a1colt

OK guys and gals, question. After trolling the pages on here I want to do some work to my EDC I have a Eaa witness EA9b small frame, same basic gun as the Armscor Map1. As a carry gun I don't really want to mess with the springs but do a mild polish to the sear cage, trigger bar, and trigger plunger and where the springs ride, hammer and plunger. I have worked on other guns before so I don't have a problem stripping it and working with a dremel and polish. I know not to remove material. The real question I have is I live in South Florida and I'm worried I polish these items the parkerizing is removed and rust will set in? I oil my gun weekly and make sure it's clean so I do keep up with it. Also is there any way to reduce the stacking of the double action trigger without getting into unreliable ignition on CCI and defensive carry ammo. Also I want to start shooting comp with this gun until I can afford a Stock 2. Any input would help... 

Polish the spring itself. The hole and strut. Polish  the plunger (all of it, every piece, inside especially).  also the area it presses on the trigger bar . That will make  it feel a lot better. 

Optional is the trigger bar outsides and the end opposite the trigger.

After you polish, you may want to experiment with a slightly lighter hammer spring.   the PD 15.5#, wolff 16 and EG "medium" are all decent choices. The PD will be the least stack-ish and should pop any factory CCI primed ammo.  

Johnbu, how do you recommend polishing inside the holes were the tigger spring rides, my polishing wheels are not that small. One of the green dermel stones, since it's a spring hole and not something that is critical surface? 

You can either make a short slave pin for it, that's just long enough to pass through the trigger and the pin itself...

Or put a punch through trigger partway, feed the trigger spring in there using needle nose pliers, and slide the punch through spring and the second half of the trigger. Then finally use the trigger pin to knock everything back the other way.

I use option #2. But #1 is definitely the easiest. An oil nail or drill bit and a cutoff wheel in your dremel make it easy to create a slave pin.

As a side note, I've heard it said that you may not want to modify your EDC gun much.  If you can successfully answer a DA's question about why you modified the internal workings of your firearm, then you're good.

3 hours ago, BanzaiCroc said:

As a side note, I've heard it said that you may not want to modify your EDC gun much.  If you can successfully answer a DA's question about why you modified the internal workings of your firearm, then you're good.

You read too much Ayoob and too many Internet forums, good sir. This is still going to result in a DA of 7-8 pounds.

That's not something anyone is going to bring into court.

I'm a retired LEO, Mechanic now (still young lol), Im not worried about crafty attorneys. I just want a slightly smoother and lighter DA pull down to 7-8lbs range. My duty Glock was also modified to produce smoother pulls. The biggest problem with changing you EDC guns are negligent discharges. If you accidentally shot someone because you were careless about your booger hook on the trigger then yes you got problems. Removing safeties and making hair triggers is not a good idea, especially if you live in a very liberal state or area. 99% of cops have no idea you modified a weapon, if I was called to attention that the trigger was really dangerously light then the weapon would be examined by an expert.

I want to start shooting IPSC in my area and want my carry gun to be the same format at my IPSC gun, hence the reason for the move away from striker fire guns (plus everyone has one blah!). Another note was rust issues. I really have not seen any issues on the net after polishing parts so I just pulled the trigger per say and did it. 

Edited by 1991a1colt

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I received the PD optimized spring 15.5, removed hammer and polished the lower sides of hammer where it rides between the frame with one of my 1911 Arkansas stones to remove the high spots. Then polished the strut and spring with 2000 grit sand paper and oil. Put it all back together and WOW, the trigger is amazing. Smooth as silk and no more stacking. Now all I need to do is test with 200 rounds with some of my CCI primers in DA only... Pencil launch test did great too.. I also sent my barrel out today to Patriot Defense for their barrel reaming services, with one of my lead rounds set at 1.16". Damn throat on my barrel is set so tight I can't even pass a drop test unless the bullet is set to .990 OAL which is no way even safe! Factory WWB worked great though... I'll report back after barrel reaming!

IMG_0042.JPG

Edited by 1991a1colt

17 hours ago, 1991a1colt said:

I also sent my barrel out today to Patrot Defence for their barrel reaming services, with one of my lead rounds set at 1.16". Damn throat on my barrel is set so tight I can't even pass a drop test unless the bullet is set to .990 OAL which is no way even safe! Factory WWB worked great though... I'll report back after barrel reaming!

We'll get your freebore opened up to where it should be