Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 can you switch to 9mm easily?

biglou13

I know nothing about s&w m&p or any striker fired gun.....

but local gun store has some very very clean buy backs  in .40 (and inexpensive)

no one at range or gun store has definitive answer.

im hoping there is a drop in part with minimal to no gunsmithing

what about whole upper?

The cheap .40 guns are priced attractively right now (I saw $299 shipped the other day), but by the time you add an aftermarket conversion barrel ($100-$200) you might as well have bought a new 9mm gun in the first place. Now, if you already have a gun in .40 and want to add 9mm as a capability (e.g. as a backup gun for your primary match gun), then go ahead. Just bear in mind that a 9mm barrel in a .40 gun would NOT be USPSA production-legal.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

The cheap .40 guns are priced attractively right now (I saw $299 shipped the other day), but by the time you add an aftermarket conversion barrel ($100-$200) you might as well have bought a new 9mm gun in the first place. Now, if you already have a gun in .40 and want to add 9mm as a capability (e.g. as a backup gun for your primary match gun), then go ahead. Just bear in mind that a 9mm barrel in a .40 gun would NOT be USPSA production-legal.

I feel the same... And this way you will be ahead of the game with 2 new magazines, that's another $70 saved. Unless you're going to run limited minor, or just want to practice with cheaper ammo, I would buy a new, or used one.