Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning compensator

dvc4you

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions on cleaning a comp that is permanently attached to your barrel? New to the open game and am shooting hard cast lead. My comp is soldered on to the end of my barrel since it's one of the cone-style comps. Appreciate any input, thanks! 

Cone comps are threaded on, and not soldered on. As I have two older open guns with cone comps on. The thread is on the inside of the cone. Your going to have a lot of lead build up in your comp if your shooting lead. I would try to scape out as much as I could before anything else. 

On 4/20/2017 at 8:31 PM, mushroom09 said:

Any suggestions on cleaning a comp that is permanently attached to your barrel? New to the open game and am shooting hard cast lead. My comp is soldered on to the end of my barrel since it's one of the cone-style comps. Appreciate any input, thanks! 

I blasted my comp with glass beads while the barrel was still attached.  Just need to plug the barrel and you're good.

On 4/19/2017 at 9:10 PM, Sarge said:

Just did a friends this weekend. 10 minutes and all he said was, WOW!

I shoot coated bullets and get a small amount of lead, but over time it adds up. 

Im happy to stick with the coated bullets because the cost savings makes hi volume shooting possible for me and the product  is from a great company as well as good friend. 

I use a small screwdriver that I reshape the head to have a rounded profile with a file and sharpen it. But to be honest I'm getting lazy and my bag of phucks is really empty these days. 

Soooooo

id love to hear more about this glass bead cleaning. Is it a harbor freight kinda thing? How do you protect the barrel crown? 

Please describe your process!

8 hours ago, Ultimo-Hombre said:

I shoot coated bullets and get a small amount of lead, but over time it adds up. 

Im happy to stick with the coated bullets because the cost savings makes hi volume shooting possible for me and the product  is from a great company as well as good friend. 

I use a small screwdriver that I reshape the head to have a rounded profile with a file and sharpen it. But to be honest I'm getting lazy and my bag of phucks is really empty these days. 

Soooooo

id love to hear more about this glass bead cleaning. Is it a harbor freight kinda thing? How do you protect the barrel crown? 

Please describe your process!

I just tape the barrel and comp and cut out the ports. Hook up a hand held tube fed sandblast gun I ordered from Amazon to my little pancake compressor, stick the tube in some harbor freight glass beads, put on some goggles and thick gloves, stand out in the driveway and blast away. Probably uses two cups of beads maybe and I just blow it out in the street when done. All the times I have done it I never worry about the crown. The gun never shoots any different from cleaning to cleaning. The glass beads are soft and about the consistency of really fine beach sand or finer.

The compressor pretty much runs non stop so you have to pause and let it recharge a few times but it only takes a few minutes unless the comp is really bad.

To be honest it easy to damage any finish on the comp which is why my main gun has a polished ti comp. I just clean it then re polish with 2000 grit paper. I have a black cerakoted comp on my other gun that I need to be really careful with or it will come right off if I hit it to hard. But it is just a comp that can be spray painted if really worried about it.

• 1 month later...

Hello: The trick with blasting stuff is to turn down the pressure. A soda blaster would remove lots of the stuff in there and not cause deep pockets like some sand blasters do. Turn the pressure down to 15 PSI and try it. Thanks, Eric