Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning compensator

dvc4you

Use a penetrating oil to brake up the carbon, dental tools to pick and scrap out the crud, then use a lanolin based oil to coat the chambers.  I like Fluid Film  it is nice and viscous and really penetrates into the comp for good protection for a long time.  I "Clean" my comps once a year, and they require very little cleaning each time.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Kroil to loosen the build up (allow a day or so to soak) then, use Boretech C4 Carbon remover and scrape with Arredondo comp scraper. Best way I have found yet without having to remove the comp etc. 

Indeed, Fluid Film is great stuff and good at preventing compensator junk buildup.  Can also mix it with a little MEK or Acetone and let it sit in the comp as the penetrating fluid to help lift the gunk off...but you still have to do the mechanical scraping. 

Not sure I'd use that much heat on a comp to melt lead, some are held on with loctite which heat affects. 

After shooting I coat the comp internals with Ed's Red and stick the muzzle inside a small Baggie until I shoot it next time. As soon as I shoot it the carbon and gunk blows right out in a shot or two.

After each shoot I place my compensator in a 50/50 solution of vinegar and hydroperoxide for about 45 min.  I do not place the whole barrel in the solution, but set the barrel up in the solution just enough to cover the compensator.  After the 45 minutes all of the carbon is pretty much cleaned out.  I have read several post on cleaning the compensator this way and several members stated that their concern was that the compensator will come loose.  I have been cleaning my compensator this way for 3 yrs and only on one occasion has the compensator come loose from the barrel.  My gun does have chameleon pvd barrel and controls.  I will say if I placed my whole barrel in the solution the chameleon coloring will come off eventually.  I will look at Sarge's idea using a bead blaster.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:25 AM, S&W686 said:

After each shoot I place my compensator in a 50/50 solution of vinegar and hydroperoxide for about 45 min.  I do not place the whole barrel in the solution, but set the barrel up in the solution just enough to cover the compensator.  After the 45 minutes all of the carbon is pretty much cleaned out.  I have read several post on cleaning the compensator this way and several members stated that their concern was that the compensator will come loose.  I have been cleaning my compensator this way for 3 yrs and only on one occasion has the compensator come loose from the barrel.  My gun does have chameleon pvd barrel and controls.  I will say if I placed my whole barrel in the solution the chameleon coloring will come off eventually.  I will look at Sarge's idea using a bead blaster.

What do you do with the used up solution after you're done?  If you have any Lead in your comp, it will create Lead Acetate which is very toxic and easily absorbed through the skin.

I mentioned this several years ago on here, so here goes again.  Spray the inside of the comp with Dillon (or similar lanolin & alcohol) case lube prior to shooting, between stages and then again when you're done for the day.  It keeps the fouling soft and can be cleaned out with your usual bore cleaner and a cotton swab, no matter how long you let the gun sit after shooting it.  Spray it between stages at a big match and you'll be surprised at how easily the comp cleans up after the match.  I've let the gun sit for literally months between the last match and the cleaning process and it remains the same....easy cleaning.

Alan~^~

2 hours ago, Alan550 said:

I mentioned this several years ago on here, so here goes again.  Spray the inside of the comp with Dillon (or similar lanolin & alcohol) case lube prior to shooting, between stages and then again when you're done for the day.  It keeps the fouling soft and can be cleaned out with your usual bore cleaner and a cotton swab, no matter how long you let the gun sit after shooting it.  Spray it between stages at a big match and you'll be surprised at how easily the comp cleans up after the match.  I've let the gun sit for literally months between the last match and the cleaning process and it remains the same....easy cleaning.

Alan~^~

I will be shooting a local match this Sunday and will give this a try.  I'll report back how it worked out.

Agreed, the lanolin based Dillon case (or Midsouth) lube works well to keep things clean.  BTW - Fluid Film is also lanolin based. There is something about the lanolin that works well to keep the comps from crudding up and makes them easier to clean.  If I'm going to shoot lead (cast bullets) I'll use a q-tip with some Fluid Film lanolin based wire rope grease/fluid film liquid/dillon case lube and wipe the interior of the comp down.  I've also tried things like tri-flow, wd40, or breakfree and the lanolin based stuff seems to work much better and last longer.   

Been shooting cast lead in my PCC and it works there, also. 

During our match today I tried using the Dillon case lube before starting the first stage and after each stage.  When I went to clean the gun this evening I must say it did a pretty good job making it much easier to clean my comp.  I plan to keep doing this in the future.  Thanks for the tip.

I must be the only guy that has purchased the Arredondo comp cleaner tool.  I use it occasionally to scrape the comp out and it works great.  I did change the profile of it a bit to make it look more like a screwdriver (it comes with a weird curve on one side that I didn't like). 

I think It works better than a screwdriver because the steel is harder?  Or maybe I just think it does because I paid money for it.

But I did use a small screwdriver for a while and whether its the angle or the steel I think the tool works better. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by Glock26Toter

I use the Arredondo tool too. I give it a quick scrape every cleaning (200-600 rounds). I also only shoot Cmj or jhp so I don't really see lead, just carbon. Doing it this way it never builds up to some un holy task. Just 1 min of scraping each cleaning. 

Edited by BeerBaron