Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re barrel Colt series 80

dvc4you

Hi,

I have a Colt series 80 in 38 Super and would like to re barrel it to 9 mm.

I see in Brownells barrels from Ed Brown, Kart and Briley. Since this pistol is for plinking which one would you choose ? Easy of fitting is a plus as I intend to do this myself to save money but mostly as a teaching exercise.

Can you recommended any online instructions ?

Thanks

The easiest to fit would be a Kart Xact Fit barrel.  Basically, you fit the hood and file down two pads on the upper lugs to get the proper engagement.   The bottom lugs are already machined and the proper barrel link is installed.

I don't have any experience with Briley, but they are short chambered gunsmith fit barrels, so they will be a lot more work.

The two Ed Brown "drop in" barrels I tried were not, by a long shot.

The best two barrels to consider are the Kart Xact Fit and the BarSto semi-fit.  Both are superb.  Both require little fitting.  Both come with bottom lugs finished with ling installed.  Frankly, the last BarSto I fit was easier than the Kart.  I had to fit the hood, then round the leading profile of the lower lugs to get smoother action.  Very easy.

The Brown lower lugs were too large.  Any time you have to mess with them using only hand tools, you are better off just sending it back.  I'll note that this was in STI 1911 frames.  They may fit better in other brands.

Both Kart and BarSto make threaded barrels.