Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long time shooter new to Texas

Eb284048

Hello everybody! I'm a longtime CZ pistol shooter and have been wanting to get more serious about shooting 3gun or some other shooting sport. I really enjoy shooting steel and had a range with steel plates back in Ohio but I have yet to find anywhere diwn here that is similar. I also have some nfa goodies and would love to find a more private range (even if it's expensive) to be able to shoot at. Do any of you have suggestions? 

Go ahead and guess! Lol sorry about that. I live in the Houston area, woodlands specifically. So far I have shot at creekwood, spring guns and ammo as well as the American shooters centers. I'm used to a more provate range where I can go from the holster, fast followups etc, which knocks out most of those options. I am looking into el campo pistol and rifle range. Also more private range would let me take advantage of my scorpion sbr with can. :D

Yeah, I am still acclimating to the size of Texas. I literally shot all over Ohio bc I lived in the center of the state. The entirety of which would fit in SE Texas with room to spare lol. But a 1-2 hr drive for a shooting range doesnt scare me and a w texas trip is in my future to big bend, may as well throw in a bit of shooting too! 

I live just outside The Woodlands on FM-1488.

The Magnolia Misfits range is a private facility about 30 minutes west of The Woodlands.  The range owner requires meeting with prospective members, but once you are approved, the sky's the limit.

He has no restrictions on number of guns, using a holster, or including movement in your practice.  They are in the process of building several bays that he hopes will attract the USPSA or 3 gun crowd.  Max rifle distance is 200 yards.  They also host an outlaw 22LR steel match and a cowboy match monthly.  Lynn offers two types of membership.  One is a low annual + pay as you use the range.  The second option is unlimited use for one annual fee.  You are allowed to bring two shooting guests ($15 per person).   They have lots of steel set up for the cowboyt shooters.  Other memberts can use it but but you are restricted to no plated or jacketed bullets.  

A very nice indoor facility is Saddle River Range located a few miles west of Hwy-242 on FM-1488.  Its more of a country club atmosphere kind of place that offers annual memberships as well as pay as you go hourly fees for the public.  If interested in USPSA style shooting, they are hosting a match this Sunday (Feb 12th) at 6 PM.  Usually 4 or 5 stages requiring around 125 to 150 rds.  To sign up go to Practiscore and enter "Saddle River".

East of The Woodlands is Thunder Gun Range.  I'll let you do the research on that one. Not my favorite place (a management thing) but they do offer IDPA, USPSA and 3 gun matches.  Open to the public but lots of restrictions on how and what you shoot.

A little further out but a nice facility is Trinity Armory in Cleveland (about 45 minutes away).  Nice folks that host a monthly 3 gun match.  Rifle range goes to 300 yards.

If I can be of any assistance, please PM me.

Bill

yeah I hope you don't get banned! But the ten minutes or so that I was there I got a negative vibe from the staff. I know others like it but seemed like not my cup of tea. I may try them again in the future but I will also check out that magnolia misfits range!